What do foreign languages sound like to you?

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
Here's the misheard lyrics of Nightwish - Wishmaster (I think they're swedish?)

DrClaude

Mentor

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Here's the misheard lyrics of Nightwish - Wishmaster (I think they're swedish?)
As I've thought: Nightwish are Finnish! (The crazy punks among the Scandinavian people. The Swedish are more the pop musicians. Long live prejudices!)

During the past 100 years USA English has become an extremely throaty language. Mandarin is the opposite: the sounds are produced at the teeth, or seemingly in the air in front of the teeth.

To speak Indian languages or Indonesian pull your tongue in. In Indonesian use your nose a lot, but not in India.

I don't know what flavor of 'chinese' this is, Cantonese, Mandarin, or other, but it's a pretty good laugh too..

I think it's Madarin.

Choppy

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Whenever I don't understand the language, I always hope that the other person will speak louder and slower...
(see about 8:25)

I think it's Madarin.
My best friend moved to Taiwan and learned Mandarin.. He's actually the guy who showed me that video about 10 years ago, before he started learning it... I'll have to send it to him again and see if he can translate now :)

Whenever I don't understand the language, I always hope that the other person will speak louder and slower...
This is so oh true.

German seems angry all the time, and French sounds snob :biggrin: Nordic countries languages I find odd and interesting. Russian sounds oddly like European Portuguese, if I'm distracted I could mistake someone on a public transport speaking Russian as speaking Portuguese, since the sounds are very similar. On the other hand, Spanish is a very similar language to Portuguese, in vocabulary, but sounds totally different (sounds more similar to Brazilian Portuguese).

Last edited: