What is the Easiest Spoken Language to Learn?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary: Indo/Western, so may not qualify...FWIW, my parents were polyglot, but I was unable to grok any language beyond my native English (regional) until I met BASIC in ~1978...Many native Malaysians can't speak Malaysian. The common language is English, but this is unofficial.@BWV , @Hornbein , to be more precise, the language spoken in Malaysia is Malay, not Malaysian.Officially, the Malay language is called "Bahasa Melayu" (similar to Indonesia, where the official language is called "Bahasa Indonesia").
Hornbein
What is the easiest foreign language to learn?

It depends strongly on your native language. To mitigate this, I'm making the rule that the language has to be in a different language group than your native tongue. You English speakers are forbidden to chose any Indo-European language.

Science news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:

It depends strongly on your native language. To mitigate this, I'm making the rule that the language has to be in a different language group than your native tongue. You English speakers are forbidden to chose any Indo-European language.
That may be too restrictive. For English native speakers, maybe tell them, "You are forbidden to choose any Germanic language". Even about this, not everybody will agree.

Likes pinball1970
Your rule would seem to rule out American's learning British "English", which I consider to be quite difficult. I mean, they get SO many things wrong. And don't even get me started on their pronunciation. :oldlaugh:

• Haha
Likes Nik_2213, vela, Astronuc and 2 others
Hornbein said:
You English speakers are forbidden to chose any Indo-European language.
Yea, always dumping on perceived success. What difference does "easy" make if it is a language you can't do much with?

Pig Latin.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, BillTre, DaveE and 1 other person
phinds said:
Your rule would seem to rule out American's learning British "English"
Do they not know the difference between plurals and possessive in England?

• Haha
Likes vela
FORTRAN

• Haha
Likes Nik_2213, jim mcnamara, BillTre and 3 others
Vanadium 50 said:
FORTRAN
In grad school I had a language requirement to fulfill.
Somehow I worked it so I could do that with computer language. 😀

• Wow
Likes Nik_2213, dlgoff, pinball1970 and 1 other person
BillTre said:
In grad school I had a language requirement to fulfill.
I did too. It was not difficult:

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Si Señor!
Close enough. Next!

Likes Mondayman and BillTre
  • Informative
Likes symbolipoint and BWV
Hornbein said:

Hornbein said:
Many native Malaysians can't speak Malaysian.
Is it Malaysian or Maylay?

Hornbein said:

It depends strongly on your native language. To mitigate this, I'm making the rule that the language has to be in a different language group than your native tongue. You English speakers are forbidden to chose any Indo-European...
I think the title and your post are two different things essentially. The title is an interesting question, "what is the easiest language to learn?" This should be for anyone in my view, so in terms of grammar, cases, vocabulary, phonetics.

The second part as @symbolipoint pointed out is a completely different scenario.
Would someone from France find Swahili easier than a Peruvian learning Welsh. How would you measure it?

Think back, everyone, to the time you were learning your FIRST language. You did not previously speak or use *or read or write another. You were learning just your first language and maybe NONE others. How difficult or easy was this?*Excuse me. The emphasis for this topic was made toward Speaking a language and that is the emphasis which should be kept.

symbolipoint said:
Think back, everyone, to the time you were learning your FIRST language. You did not previously speak or use or read or write another. You were learning just your first language and maybe NONE others. How difficult or easy was this?
That's a long time ago but my memories tell me it was easy. I just remember speaking English.
I wish mathematics would have fell into my lap just like that, at 2.

Likes Nik_2213, dlgoff and symbolipoint
Vanadium 50 said:
FORTRAN
1 or 4? :devil:

Vanadium 50 said:
FORTRAN
( One should not really give a comment like what I'll do here on a topic like this one, but...)

BASIC is (of the older style) easier, but then neither is a spoken language. They are written and graphical; that is how they are handled or communicated. Computer programming languages are not spoken human languages.

But then again, did mommy and daddy teach their child FORTRAN during his or her first four years of life? THAT would be interesting.

Likes dlgoff
symbolipoint said:
But then again, did mommy and daddy teach their child FORTRAN during his or her first four years of life? THAT would be interesting.
It's a whole new world, baby! :wink:

1667518137620.png

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...d=0CA4Q3YkBahcKEwi49teimpP7AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAw

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes dlgoff and BillTre
I'm told Esperanto is probably the easiest, but has roots in Indo/Western, so may not qualify...

FWIW, my parents were polyglot, but I was unable to grok any language beyond my native English (regional) until I met BASIC in ~1978...

Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Indonesian and Malaysian are about 90% the same.

Many native Malaysians can't speak Malaysian. The common language is English, but this is unofficial.
@BWV , @Hornbein , to be more precise, the language spoken in Malaysia is Malay, not Malaysian.

Officially, the Malay language is called "Bahasa Melayu" (similar to Indonesia, where the official language is called "Bahasa Indonesia").

It is true though that Indonesian and Malay language are in fact largely the same language, both derived from a standardized form of the Malay language based on Classical Malay, and where it served as a lingua franca throughout the various regions of what is now modern-day Malaysia and Indonesia.

As for the claim that many native Malaysians can't speak Malay, that is not strictly speaking true. All members of the Malay ethnic group in Malaysia can speak Malay, and the Malay language (as an official language) is taught to all students. It is true that some members of the non-Malay ethnic groups in Malaysia (e.g. ethnic Chinese, ethnic Indians, non-Malay indigenous groups like the Iban or Kadazan in Sarawak, etc.) may only have a limited degree of fluency in Malay (although I suspect that fluency in Malay is pretty widespread, along with English).

Last edited:
Likes BWV
StatGuy2000 said:
As for the claim the many native Malaysians can't speak Malay, that is not strictly speaking true.
I'm getting dizzy... o0)

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
StatGuy2000 said:
@BWV , @Hornbein . It is true that some members of the non-Malay ethnic groups in Malaysia (e.g. ethnic Chinese, ethnic Indians, non-Malay indigenous groups like the Iban or Kadazan in Sarawak, etc.) may only have a limited degree fluency in Malay (although I suspect that fluency in Malay is pretty widespread, along with English).
There are plenty of non-Malay Malaysians, mostly ethnic Chinese and Tamils. They have their own school systems in their own language. I've been to Malaysia and it's not unusual that they can't speak Malaysian as well as do I, sometimes not at all.

I've been to restaurants off the tourist track and the menu was in English because it's the unofficial common language.

I've also been the hills of Malaysia and couldn't understand a word the natives said (unless they used English).

berkeman said:
I'm getting dizzy... o0)
Me too and I'm British! To understand language you have to know about history. Who went where and when and what they left behind. Evolution in action.

Likes Nik_2213
pinball1970 said:
Me too and I'm British! To understand language you have to know about history. Who went where and when and what they left behind. Evolution in action.
That right there should spark a discussion about formal and informal language instruction and language learning.

I also once overheard a Malaysian Tamil family talking amongst themselves in English. It seems it was the language they used at home. I suppose it was the children's native language.

1. What is the definition of "easiest spoken language to learn"?

The definition of "easiest spoken language to learn" can vary depending on the individual's learning style and background. Generally, it refers to a language that has a simple grammatical structure, a relatively small vocabulary, and is widely spoken and understood.

2. Is there a definitive answer to which language is the easiest to learn?

No, there is no definitive answer as the ease of learning a language can be subjective and dependent on various factors such as the learner's native language, motivation, and exposure to the language.

3. Are there any studies or research that determine the easiest spoken language to learn?

Yes, there have been studies and research conducted on the ease of learning different languages. However, the results may vary and may not necessarily align with an individual's personal experience.

4. What are some factors that make a language easier to learn?

Some factors that can make a language easier to learn include similarities to the learner's native language, regular grammar rules, and a phonetic writing system. Additionally, a language that is widely spoken and has resources readily available for learning can also make it easier to learn.

5. Can anyone learn a language easily?

Learning a language can be easier for some individuals, but it still requires dedication, practice, and exposure to the language. While some people may have a natural aptitude for language learning, anyone can learn a language with the right resources and effort.