What Is the Eccentricity of an Orbit Given Vmin and Vmax?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HHveluj
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Orbit Satellite
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
HHveluj
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A satellite in an orbit around Earth has velocities between Vmin=V-V0 and Vmax=V+V0. Find the eccentricity of the orbit.

Homework Equations


rmin=l^2/(Gm1m2*mu*(1+e))
E=(Gm1m2)^2*mu*(e^2-1)/2l^2
where mu = reduced mass = m1m2/m1+m2

The Attempt at a Solution


I know all this formulas for eccentricity, but they all involve disctances/or energy, but not velocities! I don't even know how to start solving this... Any help/hints?

Thank you very much in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HHveluj said:

Homework Statement


A satellite in an orbit around Earth has velocities between Vmin=V-V0 and Vmax=V+V0. Find the eccentricity of the orbit.

Homework Equations


rmin=l^2/(Gm1m2*mu*(1+e))
E=(Gm1m2)^2*mu*(e^2-1)/2l^2
where mu = reduced mass = m1m2/m1+m2

The Attempt at a Solution


I know all this formulas for eccentricity, but they all involve disctances/or energy, but not velocities! I don't even know how to start solving this... Any help/hints?

Thank you very much in advance!


You may use conservation of angular momentum to relate the speed at aphelion to the speed at perihelion. Recall, [itex]{\vec L} = {\vec r} \times {\vec p}[/itex]. Since at aphelion and at perihelion the motion is perpendicular to the position vector, you get that [itex]r_{min} v_{max} = r_{max} v_{min}[/itex]. Since [itex]r_{min} = a(1-e)[/itex] (*if* I recall correctly) and [itex]r_{max} = a(1+e)[/itex] , you get a simple equation relating the max and minimum speeds. You will get a simple expression for the eccentricity in terms of V and V_0.

Hope this helps.

Patrick