What is the Electric Field at a Small Distance from a Charged Ring?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
thepopasmurf
Messages
73
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have a ring, radius a, with a charge distributed evenly around it. Using a gaussian cylinder of radius r, r<<a (or otherwise). Find the electric field at at small distance r away from the centre of the ring, r is in the plane of the ring.

I know that the answer is

[tex]\frac{Qr}{8\pi\epsilon_0 a^3}[/tex]



Homework Equations



[tex]\int E\cdot ds = Q/\epsilon_0[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



I can't get started since I find that the charge enclosed is 0

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't try to use Gauss's law. (What would be your Gaussian surface? Is the field uniform across it?) Instead, integrate the field contributions from each part of the ring. (It might prove easier to work with the potential instead of the field.)