A charge inside a ring, small oscillation

ermia
Homework Statement
There is an insulator charged ring with linear charge density of ##\lambda =\lambda_0 \sin^2(\theta)##. There is a charge ##q## at the center of the ring. We push the charge forward at x direction ( assuming it is positive ), then we want to find the frequency of small oscillations of the charge. And we do the same thing in y dimension and we want the frequency of small oscillations in this direction too.
Relevant Equations
Gauss law
Laplace equation
Screenshot_20231217_015814_Samsung Notes.jpg

This is the picture of the problem. I attach my solution.
I first used a trick with gauss's law to calculate the radial electric field at first order of r. ( where r is small ) ( we can assume ##small r=\delta r##) I used a cylinder at the center of the ring then i calculated the ##\hat{z}## feild and with that i found the eletric field at r then I used newton second law to find the frequency of small oscillations. Now, the question is why the answer will be the same for every r?! It shouldn't be I think! Because the problem doesn't have symmetry. But my solution gives a radial electric field. Is it true that the y and x frequencies will be equal when calculating to the first order?! Or iam wrong?

Attachments

• 20231217_020914.jpg
    20231217_020914.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"insulator … with … current"?
I confess I do not understand the relevance of the ##\hat z## field. I would solve it by finding the potential at a small displacement d. In making the approximations, you will need to be careful to keep enough terms. I suggest everything up to ##(\frac dr)^2##.

haruspex said:
"insulator … with … current"?
I confess I do not understand the relevance of the ##\hat z## field. I would solve it by finding the potential at a small displacement d. In making the approximations, you will need to be careful to keep enough terms. I suggest everything up to ##(\frac dr)^2##.
Sorry I meant charge density.

1. How does a charge inside a ring undergo small oscillations?

When a charge is placed inside a ring, it experiences a restoring force due to the electrostatic interaction with the ring. This force causes the charge to oscillate back and forth around the center of the ring.

2. What factors affect the frequency of oscillation of the charge inside a ring?

The frequency of oscillation of a charge inside a ring is influenced by the charge of the particle, the radius of the ring, and the strength of the electrostatic force between the charge and the ring.

3. Is the motion of a charge inside a ring harmonic?

Yes, the motion of a charge inside a ring can be considered harmonic if the restoring force acting on the charge is proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium position.

4. How can the period of oscillation of a charge inside a ring be calculated?

The period of oscillation of a charge inside a ring can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the charge, and k is the effective spring constant representing the restoring force.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the oscillations of a charge inside a ring?

Understanding the oscillations of a charge inside a ring can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It can help in designing sensors, studying electromagnetic interactions, and modeling planetary orbits.