What Is the Electric Field Near a Charged Rod?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DeadFishFactory
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rod
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
DeadFishFactory
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If the total charge on a rod of length 0.4 m is 2.6 nC, what is the magnitude of the electric field at a location 1 cm from the midpoint of the rod?

Homework Equations


[(2QK)/(Y)](1/sqrt(L^2 + 4[(Y)^2]), K = 8.99E9

I don't know if the above equation is actually correct.

The Attempt at a Solution



[2(2.6E-9)(8.99E9) / (0.01)] * 1 / sqrt(0.4^2 + 4(0.01^2)]

= 11700 N/CCan anyone check if this is correct? I don't think it's correct.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DeadFishFactory said:
[(2QK)/(Y)](1/sqrt(L^2 + 4[(Y)^2]), K = 8.99E9

I don't know if the above equation is actually correct.

I don't think it's correct. How did you get it?
 
Oops, I made a mistake. That equation is actually right, but you should derive it yourself rather than just plugging numbers into an equation.