What Is the Energy Stored in the Circuit at Steady State?

  • Topic: Engineering 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ACE_99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
ACE_99
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


We are given: R1= 1[tex]\Omega[/tex]
R2= 2[tex]\Omega[/tex]
L = 3 mH
C = 500 [tex]\mu[/tex]F

If the voltage is kept at 4V what is the energy stored in the circuit after it has reached a steady state. There is a link posted to the circuit provided below.

Homework Equations


energy stored in capacitor = 1/2Cv2
energy stored in inductor = 1/2Li2

The Attempt at a Solution



Since you are given all the values you can just plug into the formula to find the energy stored in the capacitor. I got 0.004J. For the inductor I determined the current that flows through it which is 4V / 2[tex]\Omega[/tex] = 2A. I then used this value to compute the energy stored in the inductor, for that I got 0.006J. The total energy would be the sum of the two.

This seems to be a simple problem but I'm just wondering if its a trick question since they want to know what the energy stored is after a long period of time.

circuit.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The energies (1/2)Li^2 and (1/2)Cv^2 are the steady state values for stored energy. You're result looks correct to me.
 
Steady state means after an infinite time. Generally we consider that after 5 time constants the circuit reaches steady state. That is the meaning of a long period of time