1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the equation of a tangent plane for the following values

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    bastard_zpsc6f3d6c8.png

So I am not sure how many times I tried this thing but the final answer is still wrong. I am sure it is something simple, where did I goof it?

*and why do we call it a tangent plane?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2013 #2
    I can't really read it can you write it out in tex?

4. Oct 21, 2013 #3
    Just bought some new color pens so that can make my notes a bit 'loud' although they are fun to write! :)

The problem is probably just my arithmetic so really isn't that big of a deal.

What I would like to go over is the 'tangent plane'. It seems the formula is just an extension from point slope form in ℝ2 brought onto 3 dimensional surfaces by taking advantage of the derivatives along each axis (x and y for this case). Let's take a look at it,

(z-zo) = zx(x-xo)+zy(y-yo)

We know we can calculate this equation to get 'z' but it would seem we could also do more with it if we have information for 'z', it's leading coefficient, and the point 'z0' to work out information on the other side of the equation. Very cool.

It is wonderful that this translates so well from point slope form and it would seem working with more dimensions (even if we can't 'see' them) would be pretty straightforward so long as when setting our equation = to 'z' (or whatever) our leading coefficient is divided through. Good stuff!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted