Find intersections between sphere and parallel tangent planes

In summary: I'm just trying to help. Thanks.I'll let you answer that for yourself. I'm just trying to help. Thanks.
fab13
Mod note: Moved from a technical forum section, so missing the homework template.
@fab13 -- please post homework problems in the appropriate section under Homework & Coursework.

I have the following exercise to solve : I have to find all the points on the surface ##x^2+y^2+z^2=36## (so a sphere of radius = 6) where tangent planes are parallel to plane ##3x+4y+5z=0##

For the moment, I can get this reasoning :

if ##M_{0}=(x_0,y_0,z_0)## is a point that staisfies the wanted property above and ##(x,y,z)## a point of its tangent plane, I have (with ##C## the center of the sphere) :

[tex]\vec{CM_{0}}\cdot \vec{MM_{0}}=0[/tex]

So with the sphere of equation : ##(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2+(z-c)^2=R^2##, I can deduce :

##(x_0-a)(x-x_0)+(y_0-b)(y-y_0)+(z_0-c)(z-z_0)=0## and especially :

##(x_0-a)(x-a)+(y_0-b)(y-b)+(z_0-c)(z-c)-R^2=0##

In my case, ##R^2=36## and ##a=b=c=0##, so I have :

##x_0 x +y_0 y +z z_0 -36=0##

From this point, how can I deduce ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)## ( I recall, the tangent plane at this point has to be parallel to plane ##3x+4y+5z=0##) ?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fab13 said:
Mod note: Moved from a technical forum section, so missing the homework template.
@fab13 -- please post homework problems in the appropriate section under Homework & Coursework.

I have the following exercise to solve : I have to find all the points on the surface ##x^2+y^2+z^2=36## (so a sphere of radius = 6) where tangent planes are parallel to plane ##3x+4y+5z=0##

For the moment, I can get this reasoning :

if ##M_{0}=(x_0,y_0,z_0)## is a point that staisfies the wanted property above and ##(x,y,z)## a point of its tangent plane, I have (with ##C## the center of the sphere) :

[tex]\vec{CM_{0}}\cdot \vec{MM_{0}}=0[/tex]

So with the sphere of equation : ##(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2+(z-c)^2=R^2##, I can deduce :

##(x_0-a)(x-x_0)+(y_0-b)(y-y_0)+(z_0-c)(z-z_0)=0## and especially :

##(x_0-a)(x-a)+(y_0-b)(y-b)+(z_0-c)(z-c)-R^2=0##

In my case, ##R^2=36## and ##a=b=c=0##, so I have :

##x_0 x +y_0 y +z z_0 -36=0##

From this point, how can I deduce ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)## ( I recall, the tangent plane at this point has to be parallel to plane ##3x+4y+5z=0##) ?

Thanks for your help
You know that the radius of the sphere drawn to the tangent point is normal to the tangent plane.
What is the normal of the tangent plane?
upload_2018-1-9_22-14-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-9_22-14-30.png
    upload_2018-1-9_22-14-30.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
the vector ##\vec{V}=(3,4,5)## is normal to plane ##3x+4y+5z=0##

So, by a proportional rule, I mean, for example ##x_0## :

## \sqrt{50} \rightarrow 3##
##6 \rightarrow ?##

can I take ##x_0=18/\sqrt{50}=9\sqrt{2}/5##, ##y_0=24/\sqrt{50}=12\sqrt{2}/5##, ##z_0=3\sqrt{2}## ??

fab13 said:

##6 \rightarrow ?##

can I take ##x_0=18/\sqrt{50}=9\sqrt{2}/5##, ##y_0=24/\sqrt{50}=12\sqrt{2}/5##, ##z_0=3\sqrt{2}## ??
Yes. Good work.

thanks for your remark

fab13 said:

##6 \rightarrow ?##

OK, but don't forget the other point on the sphere where the tangent is also parallel to the given plane.

Ray Vickson said:
OK, but don't forget the other point on the sphere where the tangent is also parallel to the given plane.
you mean negative values, i.e the symmetric "opposite" point ?

fab13 said:
you mean negative values, i.e the symmetric "opposite" point ?
I'll let you answer that for yourself.

1. What is the purpose of finding intersections between a sphere and parallel tangent planes?

The purpose of finding intersections between a sphere and parallel tangent planes is to determine the points at which the sphere and the planes touch or intersect each other. This information is important in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. What is the mathematical concept behind finding these intersections?

The mathematical concept behind finding intersections between a sphere and parallel tangent planes involves using equations to represent the sphere and the planes, and then solving for the points where the equations intersect. This can be done using techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphical methods.

3. How many intersections can there be between a sphere and parallel tangent planes?

There can be up to two intersections between a sphere and parallel tangent planes. This is because a sphere is a three-dimensional object and two planes can intersect it at most two points.

4. Can the intersections between a sphere and parallel tangent planes be used in real-world applications?

Yes, the intersections between a sphere and parallel tangent planes have practical applications in fields such as architecture, computer graphics, and satellite communication. For example, in architecture, these intersections can be used to determine the points at which a dome will touch the ground.

5. Are there any special cases where the sphere and parallel tangent planes do not intersect?

Yes, there are special cases where the sphere and parallel tangent planes do not intersect. One such case is when the sphere is completely contained within the planes, in which case there are no intersections. Another case is when the sphere is tangent to the planes, in which case there is only one intersection at the point of tangency.