What is the Fermi energy of copper according to the Sommerfeld model?

• Thread starter CAF123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the speaker asks for help deducing the Fermi energy for copper using the Sommerfeld model from a graph provided in Philips book. They also inquire about estimating the speed of low temperature phonon vibration in copper. The attempted solution involves rewriting an equation and using a sketch to calculate the Fermi energy, with a final result of approximately 3.75 eV. The speaker compares this to a value of 7 eV found from another source and asks for confirmation on their method.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

a) From the graph attached (see also Philips book) deduce the Fermi energy for copper using the Sommerfeld model
b) Estimate ##v_s## in copper, where ##v_s## is the speed of the low temperature phonon vibration.

Homework Equations

Sommerfeld model, ##c_v = \pi^2/2 (k_B T/\epsilon_f) k_B## per electron in sample.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I rewrite the equation above like $$c_v/T = \pi^2/2 (k_B /\epsilon_f)k_B.$$ From the sketch ##C/T = A + BT^2## so at ##T=0, C/T = A## in the given units. Sub this in gives $$\epsilon_f = \frac{\pi^2}{2} \left(\frac{(k_B)^2 (m^2 kg s^{-2}K^{-1})^2}{A \, mJ \, mol^{-1} deg^{-2})}\right) = \frac{\pi^2}{2} \left(\frac{(k_B)^2 J \text{mol}}{A}\right) $$ by cancelling out the units. Then there are avagadro number of atoms in a mole and copper has one conduction electron per atom, so the Fermi energy I get is ##\epsilon_f \times 6.02 \times 10^23 \approx 3.75 eV##. The value I found from another source is about 7eV so the numbers are comparable but I was wondering if my method was right?

Thanks

Attachments

• Graph1.jpg
    Graph1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Hi Greg, yes I have resolved the problem thanks for the bump anyway.

What is the Sommerfeld model?

The Sommerfeld model is a theoretical framework used in physics to describe the behavior of electrons in a solid material. It takes into account the effects of quantum mechanics and thermal energy on the movement of electrons within a material.

What is the significance of applying the Sommerfeld model?

Applying the Sommerfeld model allows scientists to better understand the properties and behavior of electrons in solid materials. It has been particularly useful in explaining phenomena such as electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and magnetic properties of materials.

How is the Sommerfeld model applied?

The Sommerfeld model is applied through mathematical equations and calculations that take into account factors such as the number of electrons in a material, their energy levels, and the temperature of the material. These calculations can then be used to make predictions about the behavior of electrons in different materials.

What are the limitations of the Sommerfeld model?

The Sommerfeld model is based on several simplifying assumptions and does not take into account certain factors such as the interactions between electrons or the effects of impurities in a material. It is also limited to materials that have a regular crystal structure.

How has the Sommerfeld model contributed to scientific understanding?

The Sommerfeld model has been instrumental in advancing our understanding of the properties of electrons in solid materials and has been used to make predictions that have been confirmed through experiments. It has also paved the way for further developments in quantum mechanics and solid state physics.