Internal Energy of virial expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with understanding the virial expansion of the ideal gas. The state equation and a hint for calculating the caloric equation of state are given. The solution involves calculating the partial derivative of pressure with respect to temperature and using it to find the internal energy. In the process, a mistake is made with the lower limit of integration. The conversation then moves on to discussing the specific heat capacity at constant volume and how it can be defined to eliminate volume dependence.
Mikhail_MR
Hello,
I have some trouble understanding the virial expansion of the ideal gas.

1. Homework Statement

I have given the state equation:
$$ pV = N k_b T \left(1+\frac{A\left(T\right)}{V}\right) $$

Homework Equations

[/B]
and a hint how to calculate the caloric equation of state $$ \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T = T^2 \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial T}\left(\frac{p}{T}\right)\right)_V $$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I calculated ## \frac{\partial}{\partial T} \left(\frac{p}{T}\right)_V = \frac{N k_b}{V^2} \left(\frac{\partial A\left(T\right)}{\partial T}\right)## first. So using the hint $$ U = \int_0^V \frac{N k_b}{V^2} T^2 \frac{\partial A\left(T\right)}{\partial T} dV = -N k_b T^2 \frac{\partial A\left(T\right)}{\partial T} \frac{1}{V}$$
If my calculations are correct, why is my internal energy negative? Unfortenately, I don't know which sign does ## \frac{\partial A\left(T\right)}{\partial T} ## have. My next task is to calculate ## c_V ## as a function of ## T ## and ## V ## and determine when it is volume independent.

$$ c_V = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V = - \frac{1}{V} N k_B \left(2 T \frac{\partial A\left(T\right)}{\partial T} + T^2 \frac{\partial^2 A\left(T\right)}{\partial^2 T}\right) $$

If I look at this equation I cannot say when it does not depend on ## V ##. Where have I made a mistake?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Your lower limit of integration should not be zero. The gas is expanding, but not from zero initial volume. When you integrate, you get ##-\frac{1}{V}##. When the gas expands, from initial volume ##V_i## to final volume ##V##, ##V_i~<V## and ##- \left[ \frac{1}{V} \right]_{V_i}^{V} >0##.

Thank you, kuruman. I should have noticed that I can't use zero as the lower limit. If I use ## V_i ## then I get
$$ U = - \left[\frac{1}{V}-\frac{1}{V_i}\right] N k_B T^2 \frac{\partial A}{\partial T} > 0 $$
How do I determine now ## A ##, so that my ## c_V ## does not depend on ## V ##

Your limits of integration should go from the current volume to infinite volume (where the ideal gas law applies). At the infinite volume limit, ##U=U^{IG}(T)##

The internal energy is a total differential. In case of an ideal gas it depends only on the specific heat capacity by constant volume. In this case I calculate using the hint something like specific heat capacity by constant temperature. I mean ##c_T## in ## dU=c_V dT + c_T dV##. But I have no information about my first term. I must calculate the heat capacity by constant volume in the next part of the task.

Last edited:
The internal energy in your problem is $$U(T,V)=C_vT-\frac{N k_b T^2}{V} \frac{d A}{dT}$$

Thank you, Chestermiller. Maybe you think $$
U(T,V)=C_vT +\frac{N k_b T^2}{V} \frac{d A}{dT} $$ since ## \int_V^{\infty} 1 / V^2 = - \left[1 / V\right]_V^{\infty} = - 0 + 1 / V ##

Mikhail_MR said:
Thank you, Chestermiller. Maybe you think $$
U(T,V)=C_vT +\frac{N k_b T^2}{V} \frac{d A}{dT} $$ since ## \int_V^{\infty} 1 / V^2 = - \left[1 / V\right]_V^{\infty} = - 0 + 1 / V ##
No. Differentiate it with respect to V and see what you get.

It is strange: $$ \frac{d\left( 1/V\right)}{dV} = -1 / V^2,$$ but it is also true, that $$
\int_V^{\infty} 1 / V^2 = - \left[1 / V\right]_V^{\infty} = - 0 + 1 / V
$$

Mikhail_MR said:
It is strange: $$ \frac{d\left( 1/V\right)}{dV} = -1 / V^2,$$ but it is also true, that $$
\int_V^{\infty} 1 / V^2 = - \left[1 / V\right]_V^{\infty} = - 0 + 1 / V
$$
Flip the limits of integration.

Thank you! To the second part of the task. I can define new ##C_V\left(T, V\right)##, so that if I let ##V## to be infinite (ideal gas), I will get the internal energy of the ideal gas. So it is just
$$ C_V\left(V, T\right) = 3/2 N k_B - N k_B / V \frac{d}{dt}\left(T^2 \frac{d}{dt} A\right) $$
It means, when ## dA/dT ## or ##
\left(2 T \frac{\partial A\left(T\right)}{\partial T} + T^2 \frac{\partial^2 A\left(T\right)}{\partial^2 T}\right)
## are zero, I have no volume dependency.

1. What is the concept of internal energy in virial expansion?

The internal energy of a system in virial expansion refers to the total energy contained within the system. It includes the kinetic energy of the particles as well as their potential energy due to interactions with each other.

2. How is the internal energy of a system calculated in virial expansion?

The internal energy of a system in virial expansion can be calculated using the virial expansion equation, which takes into account the number of particles, their temperature, and their interactions with each other. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by measuring the change in energy before and after a process, such as a change in temperature or pressure.

3. What factors affect the internal energy of a system in virial expansion?

The internal energy of a system in virial expansion is affected by several factors, including the number of particles, their temperature, the strength of their interactions, and the volume of the system. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in the internal energy of the system.

4. What is the significance of internal energy in virial expansion?

The internal energy of a system in virial expansion is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of the system. It helps determine the equilibrium state of the system and how it will respond to changes in temperature, pressure, or volume. It also plays a role in various thermodynamic processes and can be used to calculate other thermodynamic properties, such as heat capacity and enthalpy.

5. How does the internal energy of a system change during a phase transition in virial expansion?

During a phase transition in virial expansion, such as from a liquid to a gas, the internal energy of the system remains constant. This is because the energy is used to break the intermolecular bonds and change the phase of the particles, rather than increasing their kinetic energy or temperature. However, there may be a change in the internal energy once the phase transition is complete and the system reaches a new equilibrium state.