What is the final temperature if only one ice cube is used?

In summary, the final temperature of the water after one ice cube is used will depend on the amount of energy required to melt the ice and raise its temperature to 0 degrees Centigrade. The specific heat and heat of fusion for ice and water are needed to calculate this.
Forceflow
Two 60 g ice cubes are dropped into 270 g of water in a thermally insulated container. If the water is initially at 25°C, and the ice comes directly from a freezer at -15°C

What is the final temperature if only one ice cube is used?

I have no idea where to begin...my teacher didn't give us the formulas that we would need. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
can i get some help?

Calculate the amount of energy you need to completely melt the ice, which will be the mass of ice times the heat of fusion. This is how much energy goes from the water to the ice. This energy loss corresponds to a drop in temperature. You will get a new temperature for the amount of water and your ice will now be water at 0 degrees (Centigrade). Computing the final temperature is a matter of taking a weighted average of the water temperatures.

You will need the heat of fusion for ice (J/g) and the specific energy (J/g*C) for water, which are constants that can easily be looked up.

i am sorry, I'm not following what your saying.
are you saying.. 334(60)=20040..for the first part?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the ice needs to be heated to 0 degrees Centigrade before it is melted. You will need to find the specific heat of ice as well. And yes, you have calculated the energy required to melt the ice correctly, add to that the energy needed to reach 0 degrees and subtract that from the energy of the water at 25 degree Centigrade..

Last edited:
so.i got ...20040+450-6750=13740

is that correct?

never mind..i got the answer..thank you

1. How do you calculate the final temperature if only one ice cube is used?

The final temperature can be calculated using the formula Tf = (mice * Lf + mw * Cw * (Tw - Tf)) / (mice * Cice + mw * Cw), where Tf is the final temperature, mice is the mass of the ice cube, Lf is the latent heat of fusion of ice, mw is the mass of the water, Cw is the specific heat capacity of water, and Tw is the initial temperature of the water.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is approximately 4.18 Joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

3. Why is the final temperature lower when only one ice cube is used?

The final temperature is lower because the ice cube absorbs heat from the water, causing the water to cool down and the ice cube to melt. This process continues until the water and ice reach a common final temperature.

4. Can the final temperature be negative?

Yes, the final temperature can be negative if the initial temperature of the water is below 0°C and enough ice is added to lower the temperature further. This is known as supercooling.

5. How does the mass of the ice cube affect the final temperature?

The mass of the ice cube affects the final temperature because a larger mass of ice will absorb more heat from the water, resulting in a lower final temperature. However, the specific heat capacity of the ice also plays a role in determining the final temperature.