What is the momentum of the pellet?

In summary: Nope. No product rule for constants.Or rather, the derivative of a constant is zero, causing the corresponding term to be zero as well.The derivative is:This helps to find the integral, which is:
emily081715

Homework Statement

A burst of compressed air pushes a pellet out of a blowpipe. The force exerted by the air on the pellet is given by F(t)=F0e(−t/τ), where τ is called a time constant because it has units of time.
What is the momentum of the pellet after an interval equal to one time constant has elapsed?
Express your answer in terms of the variables F0, τ, and exponential constant e.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i honestly am completely lost on this question, i assumed it would just be F0e(−t) but that's not correct. help?

Physics news on Phys.org
H
emily081715 said:

Homework Statement

A burst of compressed air pushes a pellet out of a blowpipe. The force exerted by the air on the pellet is given by F(t)=F0e(−t/τ), where τ is called a time constant because it has units of time.
What is the momentum of the pellet after an interval equal to one time constant has elapsed?
Express your answer in terms of the variables F0, τ, and exponential constant e.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i honestly am completely lost on this question, i assumed it would just be F0e(−t) but that's not correct. help?

Hey Emily! :oldsmile:

We have momentum p=mv.
Furrhermore we have force F=ma.
And speed v is the integral of acceleration a with respect to time.
Suppose we integrate the expression. What will we get?

Likes LordDanger
I like Serena said:
HHey Emily! :oldsmile:

We have momentum p=mv.
Furrhermore we have force F=ma.
And speed v is the integral of acceleration a with respect to time.
Suppose we integrate the expression. What will we get?
I'm completely lost how to integrate it though,F(t)=F0e(−t/τ) is not like a function I'm use to working with

emily081715 said:
I'm completely lost how to integrate it though,F(t)=F0e(−t/τ) is not like a function I'm use to working with

The exponential function is an odd one. Its integral looks very similar to its derivative.
What would the derivative be?

Oh, and for the record:
$$\int Fdt=\int madt=mv=p$$

I like Serena said:
The exponential function is an odd one. Its integral looks very similar to its derivative.
What would the derivative be?
wouldn't the derivative be e(−t/τ) +F0e(−t/τ) ?

emily081715 said:
wouldn't the derivative be e(−t/τ) +F0e(−t/τ) ?

How so?

Note that the derivative of ##e^x## is ##e^x##. That leaves applying the chain rule. How familiar are you with the chain rule?

I like Serena said:
How so?

Note that the derivative of ##e^x## is ##e^x##. That leaves applying the chain rule. How familiar are you with the chain rule?
i was assuming there was also product rule too since fo is a constant

emily081715 said:
i was assuming there was also product rule too since fo is a constant

Nope. No product rule for constants.
Or rather, the derivative of a constant is zero, causing the corresponding term to be zero as well.

The derivative is:
$$F'(t) = F_0 \cdot -\frac 1\tau e^{-t/\tau}$$
This helps to find the integral, which is:
$$p(\tau) = \int_0^\tau F\,dt = F_0 \cdot -\tau e^{-t/\tau}\Big|_0^\tau$$

i solved the whole question already

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum different from velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. Velocity is a vector quantity, while momentum is a vector quantity with direction determined by the object's velocity.

3. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. It is important to note that momentum is measured in units of kilogram meters per second (kg*m/s).

4. How does the momentum of an object change?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, the momentum of an object can only change if it experiences a force.

5. How is momentum used in real-world applications?

Momentum is used in many real-world applications, such as in sports to measure the force of an impact or in car crashes to understand the magnitude of the collision. It is also used in engineering and physics to describe the motion of objects and predict their behavior.