What is the Flux Through Each Face of a Cube with a Corner Point Charge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ed Aboud
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cube Flux
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
Ed Aboud
Messages
200
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A point charge q is placed at one corner of a cube of edge a. What is the flux through each of the cube faces?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I drew a diagram of the situation. I'm pretty sure that I should use Gauss' Law and some symmetry arguments but I am not sure how to integrate over the cubes faces taking into account that the electric field produced by the point charge is radially outwards, like a sphere cutting through the face of the cube ( poorly described I know, sorry).

Thanks for the help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
By Gauss's Law, the flux through the whole cube is just [tex]6q/\epsilon_0[/tex]. Now, apply a simple symmetry argument to get the answer.
 
I'm not sure why is it 6q ? If there is only one charge of magnitude 1q surely the flux is

[tex] q/\epsilon_0 [/tex]
 
Right: The total flux from that charge is just q/ε0. So what's the total flux through the cube? Through each face of the cube? (No integration needed, just symmetry.)
 
Ah right I see now. Thanks very much, was thinking about this completely the wrong way.
 
Ed Aboud said:
Ah right I see now. Thanks very much, was thinking about this completely the wrong way.

So...
What is the answer you are getting?