What is the force on a test charge at the center?

In summary: Therefore there cannot be a net force towards any one of them. That's what I mean by none of them being preferred.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

13 equal charges are placed at the corners of a regular 13 sided polygon. What is the force on a test charge at the center?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law
Principle of Superposition

The Attempt at a Solution

Coulomb's law gives an answer of 0, but it is cumbersome. I am looking for a much more elegant solution, where I do not actually calculate the individual forces and add them up, but somehow realize that the forces will add up to zero based on the orientation of the charges.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose there is a nonzero net force. Consider a vertex that lies with 90 degrees of that direction from the centre. The component of the net force towards that vertex is positive. By symmetry, it must have the same component towards every vertex. But there must also be a vertex between 90 degrees and 270 degrees from the net force direction, and the component of the net force towards it must be negative.

failexam said:

Homework Statement

13 equal charges are placed at the corners of a regular 13 sided polygon. What is the force on a test charge at the center?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law
Principle of Superposition

The Attempt at a Solution

Coulomb's law gives an answer of 0, but it is cumbersome. I am looking for a much more elegant solution, where I do not actually calculate the individual forces and add them up, but somehow realize that the forces will add up to zero based on the orientation of the charges.

If you draw a force diagram, you will see 13 forces radiating out, each angled at (360/13) degrees to its neighbour.
If you translate those forces, to join them head to tail, and do it in order, you will just form another regular 13 sided polygon - indicating that the net force is zero.

All 13 forces point to the center of the polygon, and, by symmetry, none of them are preferred over any of the others. If there was one that is preferred, you would have to be able to identify which one it was. But, they are all identical, so you couldn't.

haruspex said:
Suppose there is a nonzero net force. Consider a vertex that lies with 90 degrees of that direction from the centre. The component of the net force towards that vertex is positive.

I understand.

haruspex said:
By symmetry, it must have the same component towards every vertex.

I don't see how! The non-zero force F will have two vertexes on its two sides. If the first vertex makes an angle θ with the direction of the force F, then the component of the force along that vertex is F cosθ, but then the component of the force along the other vertex must be F cos (360/13 - θ). Clearly, the two components are not the same. :confused:

PeterO said:
If you draw a force diagram, you will see 13 forces radiating out, each angled at (360/13) degrees to its neighbour.
If you translate those forces, to join them head to tail, and do it in order, you will just form another regular 13 sided polygon - indicating that the net force is zero.

Thank you for your answer. Now, I'm hoping I can understand harispex and Chestermiller's methods as they are also very good.

Chestermiller said:
All 13 forces point to the center of the polygon,

Chestermiller said:
by symmetry, none of them are preferred over any of the others.

What is the symmetry we are talking about? And what does the word 'preferred' mean in this context?

failexam said:
What is the symmetry we are talking about? And what does the word 'preferred' mean in this context?

If you put a charge in the center of the polygon, what direction would you expect it to move in? And if you could specify a direction that you would expect it to move in, there would be 12 other equally valid directions for it to move. This would eliminate all 13 directions as possibilities. You could do this exercise for all possible directions.

failexam said:
I don't see how! The non-zero force F will have two vertexes on its two sides. If the first vertex makes an angle θ with the direction of the force F, then the component of the force along that vertex is F cosθ, but then the component of the force along the other vertex must be F cos (360/13 - θ). Clearly, the two components are not the same. :confused:
There is a symmetry between the vertices. Each vertex is as good as any other. If there is a reason for there being a net force towards one, the same reason must apply to all the others. But there cannot be a net force towards all of them.

1. What is the definition of force in physics?

The force is a vector quantity that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is a combination of magnitude and direction.

2. What is the center of a charge?

The center of a charge is the point in space where the total electric field is zero. This can also be referred to as the point of equilibrium or the point where the electric potential is constant.

3. How is the force on a test charge calculated at the center of a charge?

The force on a test charge at the center of a charge is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Mathematically, it can be expressed as F = k * (q1 * q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them.

4. What factors affect the force on a test charge at the center of a charge?

The force on a test charge at the center of a charge is affected by the magnitude and direction of the charges, as well as the distance between them. It is also affected by the medium in which the charges are located, as different materials have different dielectric constants that can alter the strength of the electric field.

5. Why is the force on a test charge zero at the center of a charged sphere?

The force on a test charge is zero at the center of a charged sphere because the electric field at that point is spherically symmetric and points in all directions, canceling out each other. This means that the force exerted by each point on the sphere is equal and opposite, resulting in a net force of zero on the test charge at the center.