What is the force on a wire in a magnetic field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
-_-'
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Question: 1. a) what is the force per meter on a wire carrying a 9.80-A current when perpendicular to a 0.80-T magnetic field? b) What if the angle between the wire and the field is 45°?

For part a) I know that F = ILB, where I is the current, L is the length of the wire and B is the size of the magnetic field.

Therefore F = 9.80 x L x 0.80
= 7.84 x L

But how can you work out the force when you don’t know what L is?

For part b) I know that F = ILB sin θ

I’m not sure how to approach the problem other than what I have expressed. Any help you can offer will be great...thanks :D
 
Physics news on Phys.org
-_-' said:
Question: 1. a) what is the force per meter on a wire carrying a 9.80-A current when perpendicular to a 0.80-T magnetic field? b) What if the angle between the wire and the field is 45°?

For part a) I know that F = ILB, where I is the current, L is the length of the wire and B is the size of the magnetic field.

Therefore F = 9.80 x L x 0.80
= 7.84 x L

But how can you work out the force when you don’t know what L is?
The clue is in the question :wink: