What is the force on the exerted edge of the cap

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force and torque involved in removing a bottle cap using a bottle opener. The student exerts a force of 40 N on the opener and is trying to determine the force on the edge of the cap. Through the use of the equations sigma(Tccw) = sigma(Tcw) and t=r*d, it is determined that the torque is the same in both cases. After some confusion, it is concluded that the force on the edge of the cap is 240 N.
pauln

Homework Statement

To remove a bottle cap, a student exerts a force of 40 N on the opener. What is the force on the exerted edge of the cap by the opener?

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=22965751hd6.png

Homework Equations

sigma(Tccw) = sigma(Tcw)
t=r*d

The Attempt at a Solution

t= 40*.35
t= 40*.30
+
= 26 n*m

i know its supposed to be in Newtons but I am not sure how to calculate force when torque is involved

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the torque is the same, force*dist is the same in both cases.

im still confused
i got torque for the whole bottle opener (t=40*.3) and i got torque for the opener coming in contact with the edge of the lid (t=40*.25)
the answer is 240 N but i come no where close to it :cry:

Torque of 40 N is acting at a dist of 30 cm from the point = torque of F acting at a dist of 5 cm from the pint =>
F*0.05 = 40*0.30 =>
F = 240. (in N)

argh i got it, I was thinking the start of the handle was a pivot so i was backwards in thinking for terms of distance
thanks for clearing it up :)

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that is used to describe the interaction between two objects. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its acceleration.

2. How is force measured?

Force is typically measured using a unit called Newton (N). One Newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

3. What factors affect the force on the exerted edge of the cap?

The force on the exerted edge of the cap is affected by several factors, including the mass of the cap, the acceleration of the cap, and the angle at which the force is applied.

4. How can the force on the exerted edge of the cap be calculated?

The force on the exerted edge of the cap can be calculated using the formula F = m * a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the cap, and a is the acceleration of the cap.

5. What is the significance of understanding the force on the exerted edge of the cap?

Understanding the force on the exerted edge of the cap is important in various fields of science and engineering. It helps in designing and building structures, machines, and other objects that can withstand different forces and perform effectively.