What Is the Formal Charge on P in PBr3 and N in NBrI2

  • Thread starter Thread starter wahaj
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Atoms Charge
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
wahaj
Messages
154
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



find formal charge on P in PBr3 and N in NBrI2

Homework Equations



Formal charge = number of valence electrons-number of lone pairs- 1/2 number of bonding electrons

The Attempt at a Solution



FC on P = 5 - 1 - 3 = 1
FC on N = 5 - 1 - 3 = 1

these are wrong for some reason and I can't figure out. I know I have the lewis diagram correct for these molecules(I checked)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How does the Lewis diagram help you here? I always calculated what I knew first and then balanced the molecule's charge by assigning the oxidation number of the unknown. In these examples, I would have assumed the halogens were -1 as you have and the P or N would have an equal but opposite charge.
 
NBrI2

Halides usually have charge of -1. The compound given is as neutral charge.
N, u
Br, -1
I, -1
I, -1
Total, 0.

Find u.
 
wahaj said:

Homework Statement



find formal charge on P in PBr3 and N in NBrI2

Homework Equations



Formal charge = number of valence electrons-number of electron pairs- 1/2 number of bonding electrons

The Attempt at a Solution



FC on P = 5 - 1 - 3 = 1
FC on N = 5 - 1 - 3 = 1

these are wrong for some reason and I can't figure out. I know I have the lewis diagram correct for these molecules(I checked)

The formal charges in both the cases is zero.
In your above formula for FC you wrote the second term as " number of electron pairs ",it should be " number of non-bonded electrons ".