What is the frequency of sound when a ball bounces off a wall?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fizzyfiz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Frequency
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
fizzyfiz
Messages
36
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
Hello,
my colleague is writing an IA in physics. After playing squash the ball heats up and its spring properties change. He wants to check if the frequency of bounce changes with change of spring constant. Is there any realtion between these values? Do you know any literature which can help him?
Relevant Equations
None
None
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem seems pretty straightforward. You say there are no relevant equations, but that is clearly false. Can you say what the two sets of applicable equations may be? Please put some effort into this question for "your friend". :wink:
 
I do not know the equations that is why I write "none". And I know these "friends of mine" but this time it is true ;)
 
Well, I suggest you and your friend do a little reading/research into this. Start looking for equations that can be used to calculate the vertical motion of a bouncing ball (an oscillator with damping), and also look at the "Wave Equation" and what quantities are involved in it. The heating of the ball does certain things to its properties that will be reflected in changing parts of the Wave Equation and the Damping part of the Damped Oscillator equation(s).

Please do that reading and post here with links to that reading, and ask specific questions about any things that you don't understand about the reading. Thanks.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BvU
Oh and I forgot to mention that I am asking about frequency of sound when the ball bounce from the wall :)