What is the Frequency of the Third Harmonic in a Heated, Stretched Yarn?

  • Thread starter Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Frequency Harmonic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
utkarshakash
Gold Member
Messages
852
Reaction score
13

Homework Statement


A yarn of material that cannot dilate, length L, mass m and elastic constant K is trapped and stretched with negligible tension between the two supports A and B attached to the ends of the metal bar, CD, whose coefficient of expansion varies linearly from to , increasingly with temperature in the range of interest of the question. Determine the frequency of the third harmonic that is established in the rope when heated ΔT.


The Attempt at a Solution



[itex]\alpha _{eq} = \dfrac{\alpha 1 + \alpha 2}{2}[/itex]

Since the metal bar expands, separation between A and B increases. This creates a tension in the string. The change in length is given by LαΔT.
F = KLαΔT
Frequency of third harmonic = 4v/2L
where [itex]v=\sqrt{\dfrac{FL}{m}}[/itex]

If I substitute the value of F, the answer comes out to be wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:
...linearly from to , increasingly ...

Something seems to be missing here.

The Attempt at a Solution



[itex]\alpha _{eq} = \dfrac{\alpha 1 + \alpha 2}{2}[/itex]
[STRIKE]I am not sure but I think this is incorrect. The question says that coefficient of linear expansion varies linearly with temperature so I think you should find it as a function of temperature and then obtain the change in length through integration.[/STRIKE]

EDIT: Sorry, that is correct, integration yields the same result. So the only possible error is in your formula for frequency of third harmonic.
 
Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
Something seems to be missing here.


[STRIKE]I am not sure but I think this is incorrect. The question says that coefficient of linear expansion varies linearly with temperature so I think you should find it as a function of temperature and then obtain the change in length through integration.[/STRIKE]

EDIT: Sorry, that is correct, integration yields the same result. So the only possible error is in your formula for frequency of third harmonic.

Ah! That was a silly mistake. I confused "harmonics" with "overtones". Thanks for pointing out.
 
Here's the correct answer

[itex]\dfrac{3}{2} \sqrt{\dfrac{K Δ T (\alpha_1 + \alpha_2)}{2m}}[/itex]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person