1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the gravity of a planet 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass of earth

1. Oct 3, 2012 #1
    what is the gravity of a planet 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass of earth

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: gravity

Hello cmbswim89. Welcome to PF !

Do you mean, "What is the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of a planet 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass of earth?"

Show us what you have tried, and where you're stuck so we can help you.

4. Oct 3, 2012 #3

well the problem states a person weighs 540N on earth and asks how much he weighs on a planet 2 times the radius and 3 times the mass. i have tried putting that data into the gravitational force equation but multiplying earths mass by 3 and radius by 2 but i don't get any of the multiple choice questions i have

5. Oct 4, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What equation are you putting the mass & radius into ?

What do you get?

6. Oct 4, 2012 #5

F=G(3(m1))(m2)/2r2 so it looks like that with m1 as earths mass and r as earths radius and i get 793.18N

7. Oct 4, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you using (2r)2 or 2(r2) in the denominator?

8. Oct 4, 2012 #7
    sr^2 sorry

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook