What is the Hamiltonian operator for a spin 1/2 particle in a magnetic field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 9K views
ultimateguy
Messages
122
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Consider a spin 1/2 particle placed in a magnetic field [tex]\vec{B_0}[/tex] with components:

[tex]B_x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} B_0[/tex]
[tex]B_y = 0[/tex]
[tex]B_z = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} B_0[/tex]

a) Calculate the matrix representing, in the {| + >, | - >} basis, the operator H, the Hamiltonian of the system.
b) Calculate the eigenvalues and the eigenvectors of H.
c) The system at time t = 0 is in the state | - >. What values can be found if the energy is measured, and with what probabilities?


Homework Equations


[tex]\omega_0 = - \gamma B_0[/tex]
[tex]H = \omega_0 S_z[/tex]
[tex]S_z = \frac{\hbar}{2} \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}<br /> 1 & 0 \\<br /> 0 & -1 \\ \end{array} \right)\][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm stuck on part a).

My initial instinct is to do this:

[tex]H = \omega_0 S_z[/tex]
[tex]H = - \gamma \vec{B_0} S_z[/tex]
[tex]H = - \gamma \vec{B_0} \frac{\hbar}{2} \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}<br /> 1 & 0 \\<br /> 0 & -1 \\ \end{array} \right)\][/tex]

But [tex]\vec{B_0}[/tex] is a 3D column vector, and I can't multiply that into a 2x2 matrix. And I have to somehow express that with | + > and | - >... I have a feeling I'm on the wrong track.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The basical hamiltonian is on the form:

[tex]H = \vec{B} \cdot \vec{S} = B_x \cdot S_x + B_y \cdot S_y + B_z \cdot S_z[/tex]

And the [tex]S_x = \frac{1}{2} \sigma _x[/tex] pauli matrix, etc

(I use natural units, so don't bother)¨

I hope my hint helped you anyway to solve a)
 
Last edited:
So with this I get:

[tex]H = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} B_0 \frac{\hbar}{2} \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}<br /> 0 & 1 \\<br /> 1 & 0 \\ \end{array} \right)\][/tex]
[tex]+ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} B_0 \frac{\hbar}{2} \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}<br /> 1 & 0 \\<br /> 0 & -1 \\ \end{array} \right)\][/tex]

[tex]H = B_0 \hbar \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}<br /> \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}} & \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}} \\<br /> \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}} & \frac{-1}{2\sqrt{2}} \\ \end{array} \right)\][/tex]

Right?
 
For the eigenvalue:

[tex](\frac{B_0 \hbar}{2\sqrt2})^2 (1-\lambda)(1-\lambda) - (\frac{B_0 \hbar}{2\sqrt2})^2 = 0[/tex]

[tex](1-\lambda)(1-\lambda) = 0[/tex]
[tex]\lambda = 1[/tex]

And the eigenvector:

[tex]\frac{B_0 \hbar} {2\sqrt2} \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}<br /> 0 & 1 \\<br /> 1 & -2 \\ \end{array} \right)\] \times \[ \left(\begin{array}{c}<br /> c_1 \\<br /> c_2 \\ \end{array} \right)\] = 0[/tex]

This gives me [tex]c_2 = 0[/tex] and [tex]c_1 = \frac{B_0 \hbar} {2\sqrt2}[/tex]. I think I did something wrong.
 
for matrix:

[tex]A = \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc} a & a\\ a & -a \\ \end{array} \right)\][/tex]

The secular eq is [tex](a- \lambda )(-a- \lambda ) - a^2 = 0[/tex]

if lambda is the eigenvalue.
 
Thanks, I found the problem, I should have had [tex](1-\lambda)(-1-\lambda) = 1[/tex]
 
Ok so I get the following system of equations for the case of the eigenvalue [tex]+\sqrt2[/tex]

[tex](1-\sqrt2)c_1 + c_2 = 0[/tex]
[tex]c_1 + (-1-\sqrt2)c_2 = 0[/tex]

which according to myself and my calculator has no solution...
 
If you can get eigenvalues to a matrix, then there exists corresponding eigenvectors.

Eigen vectors are, by using Matlab:

for sqrt2 = (-0.92388,-0.38268)
for -sqrt2 = (0.38268,-0.92388)
 
Last edited:
Ok I found the two eigenvectors using Matlab. I'm not sure how to write them when applied to the system so that it makes sense.

[tex]|\psi(t)> = 0.92388 | + > + 0.382683 | - >[/tex]
[tex]|\psi(t)> = 0.382683 | + > - 0.92388 | - >[/tex]

Is this correct? And for part c), which one do I use to find the probability?
 
But in order to get them analytically, just do substituion
[tex]c_1 = (1+\sqrt2)c_2[/tex]
From your second equation and put in into the first one and solve for c_2

Now how does a state evolve with time? Ever heard of "Time evolution operator" or similar?

Time evolution of a ket is
[tex]|a(t) \rangle = \exp (-i E_a t/\hbar)|a(0) \rangle[/tex]
where E_a is the energy eigenvalue of that ket.

So your egeinvectors are:
[tex]|\psi +> = 0.92388 | + > + 0.382683 | - >[/tex]
[tex]|\psi -> = 0.382683 | + > - 0.92388 | - >[/tex]

Dont use time, as you did, it is not correct.
The psi + has eigenvalue +sqrt2 etc.
Now I have helped you very much.
 
Last edited:
Yes I've seen it. So the eigenvectors are just for [tex]|\psi(0)>[/tex] ?
 
no, just for the hamiltonian.

at time = 0; the state is in |->

Then you must find out what just |-> is in superposition of the eigenvectors to the hamiltonian, in order to get the time evolution.

i.e you should first write |-> = a|phi + > + b|phi ->