What is the heat removal in J/min

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chad Jensen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Chad Jensen
Messages
11
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


What is H, the rate of heat absorption by an air conditioner with an EER of 8.3 that operates at 1800 W? Recall that 1Btu=1055J. Express your answer in joules per minute.

Homework Equations


H/P=EER

The Attempt at a Solution


H=EER*P
H=(8.3 BTU/HR/W)*(1800 W)
H=(14,940 BTU / hr)*(1055 J / 1 BTU)*(1 hr / 60 min) = 262,695 J/min
This is wrong and I am not sure why. I thought maybe I was using the wrong number of sig figs, so I tried 260,000 J/min and 263,000 J/min. Anybody that can help me see what I am doing wrong, I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you
Chad
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps leave out the comma ? I get same as you ...
 
I put the comma in for clarity when I posted to the forum. I didn't use one when I input the answer. I just thought maybe I missed something but it doesn't sound like I did. Thank you
 
The answer was correct, but for some reason it wanted it in scientific notation. 2.63*105 It has never mattered before if it was scientific or regular, it must just have been a fluke. Thank you
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BvU