1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the (higher order) time derivative of centripetal acceleration?

1. Jan 16, 2016 #1
    Just using basic dimensional analysis, it appears the time derivative of centripetal acceleration is ## \vec{r} \omega^3 ##, but this intuitive guess would also extend to higher order time derivatives, no? Implying:

## \frac {d^n \vec{r}}{dt^n} = \vec{r} \omega^n ##

It seems to follow from the general result shown in Thorton/Marion pg 390 (attached) when considering rotating bodies in a fixed frame. I assume ## \vec{Q} ## is any vector, even ones that are the result of a higher order time derivative of an initial vector. The concept of finite infinite-time derivative just seems like an odd concept to me when considering real objects, but I guess the geometry of the situation allows it. But to confirm, is anything posted here incorrect?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Dimensional analysis allows that as a possibility, but it does not make it true. If we start with the scalar form ##r\omega^2## we see the time derivative is ##r\dot\omega^2+2r\omega\dot{\omega}##.

4. Jan 16, 2016 #3
    Thank you for pointing out that I forgot to do a basic differentiation. It is much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook