Higher order time derivatives of position

In summary: Higher order derivatives of position are useful in physics insofar as they allow us to describe more accurately how a system is changing over time. However, in the real world, we typically only need to know about the second and third time derivatives of position.
V0ODO0CH1LD
Newton's laws says ## F=ma ##. Which, as far as I can see, states that all physical interactions concern the second time derivative of position. And because there is no other way for two bodies to interact in the physical world, the "worst" I can do to a system is change its acceleration, right? My question is: are higher (than three) order derivatives of position with respect to time valid physical concepts? I can clearly see why the third time derivative of displacement, jerk, would be a useful concept. But what I can't see is how defining anything beyond that makes any sense. How can I change the rate at which a body changes its acceleration? I mean, if the only thing I can do is apply more or less force to a body, therefore changing its acceleration. What would I have to do to change anything beyond that?

The other thing is: if I have some equation that relates time and position as ## x=t^3 ##. I have no good reason to stop taking derivatives at the second time around. So the actual "equation of motion" for a particle that behaves in a manner described by that equation would be:
[tex] x(t)=x_0+\dot{x_0}t+\frac{\ddot{x_0}}{2}t^2+\frac{\dddot{x_0}}{6}t^3[/tex]
by the taylor series approximation.

So is it the point that I could never, in reality, do something to a body so that it behaved in such a way that it's trajectory would obey higher (than three) order polynomial approximations, or is it that we just neglect the higher order derivatives by saying; sure.. the equation says ## x=t^n ## but the acceleration is ##(n-1)nt^{n-2}## and that's all we need!

What part of mathematics are Newton's laws constraining?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are forgetting that ##F## can be a function of time, and have with as many derivatives as you like. You seem to be assuming that ##F## is constant.

Of course ##x(t)## can have more than two time derivatives in a "real world" situation. An obvious example is simple harmonic motion where ##x(t) = \sin \omega t##.

Look up articles on 'jerk' and 'jounce', which are the third and fourth time derivatives.

Sometimes the higher derivatives are called jerk, snap, crackle, and pop. Some of these higher orders are used in camshaft design.

I remember being very confused by the equations of motion (SUVAT) that we were taught at School. Not enough emphasis was placed on the fact that they applied for Uniform Acceleration. I had to sort it out in my own mind (some time later) because I was too embarrassed to ask!

I see! Force concerns acceleration. Which means there is no "type" of force I could apply onto a body that would allow me to interact with any higher time derivatives of position than two. Any force ever results in an acceleration. But the point is that a force may vary with respect to time, which means my acceleration would also vary with respect to time and depending on how that force is related to time, higher and higher time derivatives of position may also be nonzero. What was confusing me is that it's not what force "messes" with that is changing with respect to time, just the force it self.

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
I see! Force concerns acceleration. Which means there is no "type" of force I could apply onto a body that would allow me to interact with any higher time derivatives of position than two. Any force ever results in an acceleration. But the point is that a force may vary with respect to time, which means my acceleration would also vary with respect to time and depending on how that force is related to time, higher and higher time derivatives of position may also be nonzero. What was confusing me is that it's not what force "messes" with that is changing with respect to time, just the force it self.

Most forces that you come across in everyday life are not uniform (with the exception of g, over 'small' distances). Force from your arm, from a car engine and, internally, from the gas expansion in the cylinder plus the effect of the crank, changing reciprocating motion to circular. Then there's the force in an electric motor, from a sky-rocket engine (and the also changes with time), the force from the rubber band on a slingshot etc. etc..

Constant force / acceleration is a theoretical concept rather than a reality.

What are higher order time derivatives of position?

Higher order time derivatives of position refer to the rates of change of position with respect to time, beyond the first derivative (velocity) and second derivative (acceleration). They describe how the velocity and acceleration of an object are changing over time.

Why are higher order time derivatives of position important in science?

Higher order time derivatives of position are important in science because they allow us to analyze and predict the motion of objects with more precision. By understanding how an object's position, velocity, and acceleration are changing over time, we can make more accurate calculations and predictions about its future motion.

How are higher order time derivatives of position calculated?

Higher order time derivatives of position are calculated by taking the derivative of the previous derivative. For example, the third derivative of position (jerk) is calculated by taking the derivative of acceleration, and the fourth derivative (snap) is calculated by taking the derivative of jerk.

What are some real-world applications of higher order time derivatives of position?

Higher order time derivatives of position have many applications in science and engineering, including in fields such as physics, astronomy, and robotics. They are used to study the dynamics of systems, predict the motion of celestial bodies, and design control systems for robots and other mechanical devices.

Can higher order time derivatives of position be negative?

Yes, higher order time derivatives of position can be negative. This indicates that the rate of change of an object's velocity or acceleration is decreasing over time, which could mean that the object is slowing down or changing direction. For example, the jerk (third derivative) of an object's position can be negative if it is decelerating or changing direction quickly.