What is the horizontal component of the force pushing him forward?

In summary, the skier is sliding on waxed skis on a horizontal surface of snow. He is pushing with his poles, and the horizontal component of the force pushing him forward is F=mA. The problem asks for the coefficient of friction for waxed skis on snow, but neglecting friction, we can solve for the force easily. The net force on the skier is zero, meaning that the only forces acting on him are the gravitational force pushing down and the normal force opposing it.
zelda1850

Homework Statement

An 80 kilogram skier slides on waxed skis along a horizontal surface of snow at constant veloctiy while pushing with his poles. what is the horizontal component of the force pushing him forward?

2. Homework Equations [/]

is there an equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

i only know the mass how can i solve this problem?

this was mutiple choice

1) 0.05 N
2) 0.04 N
3) 40 N
4) 4N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's a trick question, seeing as he is skating (so friction is negligible) and moving at a constant velocity (no acceleration) he isn't exerting any more force, which seems to work conceptually, but the problem states he is actively moving the poles so he obviously is exerting a force so maybe it is a trick question...

oh but is there a way to solve this problem?

zelda1850 said:
oh but is there a way to solve this problem?
I suspect that you are given the coefficient of friction for waxed skis on snow. You'll need it.

Neglecting friction: F = m A. since acceleration is zero, the force is zero.

With friction this is a far more complex question than we are given data for. We would need to know not only the coefficient of friction for the skis, but also data on the poles such as the angle at which they push off the ground since this would lighten the force on the skis. Ideally this would be related as a periodic function of time.

I suspect the trivial answer is the one you're looking for.

DmplnJeff said:
With friction this is a far more complex question than we are given data for. We would need to know not only the coefficient of friction for the skis, but also data on the poles such as the angle at which they push off the ground since this would lighten the force on the skis. Ideally this would be related as a periodic function of time.
You are correct that a realistic answer would depend on the how the force of the poles is exerted and would be periodic. But this is meant as a simple problem, so just pretend that the poles only push backwards with no vertical component and that the force is continuously applied. Then the problem is easily solved (albeit naively).

im confused so i can use the equation F = M A to solve it? how can i calculate the answer?

What forces act on the skier? What's the net force on the skier?

Do you understand how to calculate the friction force? (You need the coefficient of friction.)

yeh u = ff/fn I am not sure what the net force on the skier is

zelda1850 said:
im not sure what the net force on the skier is
What's the acceleration of the skier?

the acceleration is at constant so its zero

zelda1850 said:
the acceleration is at constant so its zero
The velocity is constant thus the acceleration is zero. So what does that tell you about the net force?

the net force is zero?

The forces on the skier include a gravitational force pushing down and a normal force opposing it. This normal force causes friction.

The friction force and the force of the poles net to zero.

zelda1850 said:
the net force is zero?
Good. Now answer my other question: What forces act on the skier?

theres a normal force?

Last edited:
The force of the snow pressing up on the skis. Otherwise the skier would fall to the center of the Earth.

how can i find out the normal force of the skier?

Unless something is being partially lifted (which doesn't apply to your problem) then normal force = force of gravity (mg)

oh can someone just tell me how they solved it and explain it I am so confused

What is the horizontal component of the force pushing him forward?

The horizontal component of the force pushing an object forward is the force that acts in the direction of motion, parallel to the surface on which the object is moving. It is also known as the tangential force.

How is the horizontal component of force calculated?

The horizontal component of force can be calculated using trigonometric functions, specifically cosine, in conjunction with the magnitude of the force and the angle at which it is acting. The formula is Fcosθ, where F is the magnitude of the force and θ is the angle between the force and the horizontal direction.

Why is the horizontal component of force important?

The horizontal component of force is important because it helps determine the overall motion of an object. When the horizontal component of force is greater than the opposing forces, the object will accelerate in the direction of motion. It is also essential in calculating the work done on an object.

How does the horizontal component of force affect an object's velocity?

The horizontal component of force directly affects an object's velocity by accelerating or decelerating it in the direction of motion. If the horizontal component of force is equal to the opposing forces, the object will maintain a constant velocity. If it is greater, the object's velocity will increase, and if it is smaller, the object's velocity will decrease.

Can the horizontal component of force be negative?

Yes, the horizontal component of force can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of motion, causing the object to decelerate. It is essential to pay attention to the sign of the force when calculating the horizontal component to accurately determine its effect on an object's motion.