What is the impedance of the circuit?

In summary, the circuit contains both R and C elements and the impedance can be calculated using Z = V/I, where V is the voltage and I is the current in complex form. The power can be calculated using P = VI*, where I* is the complex conjugate of the current.
Sean1218

Homework Statement

A circuit contains two elements, but it is not known if they are L, R or C. The current in this circuit when connected to a 51.0 V, 60.0 Hz source is 3.60 A and leads the voltage by 75.0 degrees.

What is the impedance of this circuit?

Homework Equations

Z=sqrt(R^2 + (Xc)^2)
tan(phi)=Xc/R
Xc=1/(2pifC)
I=E/Z

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured it contains R and C because current leads voltage, so there's no Xl.

For a) Z = sqrt(R^2 + (Xc)^2), and I tried tan(phi) = Xc/R to get C for Xc = 1/(2pifC), but didn't get right answer, using phi = -75.0 degrees.

Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not construct a phasor for the current given the known angle +75°? Put it in complex form and find the impedance Z = V/I as a complex number.

For power, you're given the voltage (no phase shift so it's a simple real number) and now you have the current. There's a "trick" to finding the power with voltage and current in complex form, do you know what it is?

I found power already with P=Irms*Vrms*cos(phi) if that's the trick you mean.

I'm not sure how to make phaser diagrams (haven't learned it yet), so I was hoping to just do it algebraically.

Why do you say the known angle is +75°, wouldn't it be negative because its leading?

Could I use cos(phi) = R/Z? I'm not sure if (51.0 V)/(3.6 A) gives me the right resistance though.

Z=R/cos(phi)
Z=(51/3.6)/cos(75 deg)
Z=54.7 Ohm, except this is the incorrect answer I got in the method I outlined in my original post.

edit: or maybe since the given voltage and current values are both rms values, I can just use V/I = Z? Yep, it was V/I = Z.

Last edited:
If the current waveform is leading the voltage waveform then the argument of the sine or cosine function that describes the current is "ahead" by the given angle. So add that angle to the ωt. So for example, cos(ωt + θ); Note that when t=0, the argument is θ ahead.

The usual equations like R = V/I work when the V and I magnitude values are rms AND the load is purely resistive; so no reactive components allowed! One can, however, use complex values to represent the voltage and current which incorporate the phase angles, and then you can use usual expressions with complex arithmetic (power, P = VI, is just a bit trickier).

Given the current's magnitude Imag and angle θ you can create a complex value to represent the current (real and reactive parts):

##I = I_{mag}(cos(\theta) + j\;sin(\theta))##

The voltage waveform is assumed here to have zero phase angle, so it's just a real number (51 V I believe was the given value).

The complex impedance should then be Z = V/I. You can pick out the resistance (real) and reactive (imaginary) parts to determine appropriate component values if you wish.

When you calculate the power using the complex values, use the conjugate value of the current. So P = VI*, where I* is represents the complex conjugate (the conjugate is where the sign of the imaginary component is reversed. If the complex value is A + jB, then the conjugate is A - jB). The components of the result are the real and reactive power.

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the total opposition to current flow in an alternating current (AC) circuit. It takes into account both resistance and reactance.

2. How is impedance different from resistance?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to current flow in a direct current (DC) circuit, while impedance is a measure of the opposition to current flow in an AC circuit. Impedance also takes into account the effect of capacitance and inductance in the circuit.

3. How is impedance calculated?

Impedance is calculated using Ohm's law, which states that impedance (Z) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). Z = V/I. It can also be calculated using the formula Z = √(R² + X²), where R is the resistance and X is the reactance.

4. What are the units of impedance?

The units of impedance are ohms (Ω). This is the same unit used for resistance, as impedance includes resistance as a component.

5. How does impedance affect circuit performance?

Impedance affects circuit performance by limiting the flow of current and causing a phase shift in the voltage and current. It also determines the amount of power that can be transferred through the circuit.