What is the increase in kinetic energy during an atomic nucleus disintegration?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
albinoboy
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Problem: An unstable atomic nucleus of mass 1.60 10-26 kg initially at rest disintegrates into three particles. One of the particles, of mass 5.08 10-27 kg, moves along the y-axis with a speed of 6.00 106 m/s. Another particle, of mass 8.50 10-27 kg, moves along the x-axis with a speed of 4.00 106 m/s.

A) Find the velocity of the third particle.

(-1.40e7 i - 1.26e7 j)

B) Find the total kinetic energy increase in the process.


I have been messing around with the numbers and can not figure out how to determine the increase in kinetic energy. I have one more attempt and then I get it wrong. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org