What is the Inductance of a Coil with Changing Magnetic Field and Current?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JDiorio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inductance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
JDiorio
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An inductor has the form of a coil with 2074 turns and a diameter of 1.9 mm . The inductor is placed in a magnetic field perpendicular to the plane of the coil and increasing at a rate of 0.48 T/s . The current in the inductor is zero at t = 0, and then increases to 6.9 mA at t = 1.0 s. What is the inductance?

Homework Equations



This is the problem, I am obviously missing something.
I want to use the equation L= (u*N^2*A)/length.. but as you can see I am not given the length. I do not know how to incorporate the charge into finding the inductance.

The Attempt at a Solution


I feel like I am close. I am trying to use the increase rate of the magnetic field to find the emf, and then use the emf and the current to find the inductance, but then i get stuck.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


So I found the formula emf= -L ( dI/dt) where d = change in. How do I derive the emf from the information given. Also, this formula does not involve the number of turns nor does it involve the diameter.. so is this just extra information?
 


You can the equation as
emf = - NAdB/dt = L*di/dt. Or
NA(dB/dt)*dt = L*di
Take integration on both side and find L.
 


is there anyway to do this problem without calculus? This is a non-calc based class so i have no clue how i would go about taking the integral..
 


JDiorio said:
is there anyway to do this problem without calculus? This is a non-calc based class so i have no clue how i would go about taking the integral..

In the given problem, dt is given(1s). di is given(6.9 mA). Substitute in the formula to get the inductance. No need to take integration.
 


thanks a lot.. i finally got this stupid question.. really appreciate the help! thanks again..