What is the Initial Speed of a Baseball Thrown at a 45° Angle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Ki-nana18
Messages
90
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A baseball player throws a ball a distance of 250 ft. If the ball is released at an angle of 45°with the horizontal, find its initial speed.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know where to begin. All i know is that speed is the norm of velocity. Help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the initial speed is v0. What are the vertical & horizontal components of the velocity.
 
close. You forgot that the y equation has acceleration due to gravity, so that's [itex]\frac{-9.8}{2}[/itex][itex]t^{2}[/itex].

And is that how I'm supposed to do math equations here? Cuz I am relatively new (I signed up earlier, I just never used it till now).
 
Yeah, that's how you do it. :smile: And thank you. I should use (32/2)t2 since the unit is feet. Correct?
 
oh yeah, sorry but that, but glad I could help. :smile:
 
oh i thought you got it. Sorry. You know that x displacement is 250 ft, and y displacement is 0. If you plug that in, you'll find you have a system of two equations with two variables--initial velocity and time. I'm sure you can solve from there. :wink: