What Is the Intensity Distribution and Resolving Power of an N-Slit Grating?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
unscientific
Messages
1,728
Reaction score
13

Homework Statement



2zxpbhx.png


Part (a): Find intensity distribution of N-slit grating
Part (b): Find resolving power
Part (c): Find an expression for Bandpass, and estimate its value. What value of slit width gives same bandpass as resolving power theoretically?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I've solved most parts of the question, except the very last part in part (c). I thought the bandpass is independent of wavelength?Part(a)

[tex]I = I_0 \frac{sin^2(\frac{Nkd sin \theta}{2})}{sin^2 \frac{kd sin \theta}{2}} sinc^2 (\frac{ka sin \theta}{2})[/tex]

Part (b)

Width from central maxima to first minimum ## \Delta \theta = \frac{1}{N}(\frac{\lambda}{d})##

For pth order fringe maximum: ## sin \theta_{max} = \frac{p\lambda}{d}##, I get angular dispersion as ##\frac{d\theta}{d\lambda} = \frac{p}{d cos \theta} \approx \frac{p}{d}##.

Thus, Resolving Power ##\frac{\lambda}{\Delta \lambda} = \frac{\lambda}{\Delta \theta / \frac{d\theta}{d\lambda}} = Np = N## for p = 1.

Part (c)

Bandpass is defined as the amount of lambda it let's through, so Bandpass is:
[tex]\frac{d\lambda}{d\theta} \Delta \theta[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{d\lambda}{d\theta} \frac{w}{f}[/tex]

Where w is exit path width and f is focal length.

I found bandpass = ##5.56 * 10^{-5} m##

Now for the last part, theoretically for first order resolving power is independent of λ?

Resolving power = N

[tex]\frac{wd}{f} = N[/tex]
[tex]w = 3*10^{11} m[/tex]

This answer seems ridiculous.
 
Physics news on Phys.org