What is the Interval of Convergence for These Power Series?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
fsm
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
I just wanted to see if someone could verify my answers:

[tex] \\sum_{n=0}^\\infty \\frac{(x+7)^n}{sqrt(n)}[/tex]
I get:
-8<x<-6

[tex] \\sum_{n=1}^\\infty \\frac{(-1)^n*x^2n}{n!}[/tex]
This one I'm not sure of. When I take the limit I get 0. When I solve the inequality I get x. I can't find an example of this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This might be better:
1.gif
 
1. correct
2. [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n}}{n!}[/tex][tex]|\frac{(-1)^{n+1}x^{2n+1}}{n!(n+1)}\frac{n!}{(-1)^{n}x^{2n}} = \frac{x}{n+1} \rightarrow 0[/tex]. Thus the interval of convergence is [tex](-\infty, \infty)[/tex]
 
Last edited:
I don't understand your answer for #2. I got the same thing but how is this the interval of convergence?
 
fsm said:
I don't understand your answer for #2. I got the same thing but how is this the interval of convergence?

What don't you understand about it?
 
All the stuff to the right of the equal sign now just appeared. Thanks for the help.