What is the inverse of h(y) where y=|x|

  • Thread starter Thread starter matrix_204
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inverse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
matrix_204
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
I'm preparing for my Statistics and Probability exam tomorrow, and I have a quick question:

What is the inverse of h(y) where y=|x|. (just to make sure, h'(x)=1, right?)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
h'(x) is not 1 for all x. Draw the graph of |x| and think again. Also do you know the horizontal line test for whether a function is invertible?
 
Well when I draw the graph for |x| i get like a graph like this starting at the origin \|/ , and I'm not sure how to find the inverse or by using the horizontal line test? is that like one-to-one function type?
 
This is the problem that I'm doing:
Suppose that Z is a standard normal random variable: i.e. Z~N(0,1).
a) Find the distribution of X=|Z| .
b) What is the density of X?
c) Find the distribution of Y=X^2
d) What is the joint distribution of X and Y?
------------------------------------------
For a) P(X</=x) = P(|Z|</= x) = P(-z</= x </= z) = P(x</=z) - P(x</= -z)
I'm stuck here...

For b) is the density function for this the same as the one that is given as the definition. I mean fx(x)=[1/root2(pie)]e^(-x^2)/2?

For c) I got N(0, 2root(y)) as the distribution of Y=X^2.