What is the Inverse of Momentum Operator in One Dimensional Problems?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
ghazal-sh
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
hi every body!
I'm looking for inverse of momentum operator in one dimensional problem.I have no idea to solve it!please help me!
------------------------------------------
so sorry about my bad speaking!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

ghazal-sh said:
hi every body!
I'm looking for inverse of momentum operator in one dimensional problem.I have no idea to solve it!please help me!

hi ghazal-sh! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Thankyou for the PM.

Can you show us the whole problem? :smile:
 
Can you show us the whole problem?
thanks for your attention!::smile:
the problem is just finding inverse of P!
 
Start by considering the action of the momentum operator [itex]P[/itex] on an arbitrary wavefunction [itex]\psi(x)[/itex]...What is that?
 
Start by considering the action of the momentum operator LaTeX Code: P on an arbitrary wavefunction LaTeX Code: \\psi(x) ...What is that?
thanks!how can you reach to 1/p with this approach?
of course I found the answer.start by calculating expectation value of 1/p in momentum space (so easy)and then use Fourier transform of the wave functions.after so simple calculation you can see that:1/p =integral of dx
 
Last edited:
ghazal-sh said:
thanks!how can you reach to 1/p with this approach?
of course I found the answer.start by calculating expectation value of 1/p in momentum space (so easy)and then use Fourier transform of the wave functions.after so simple calculation you can see that:1/p =integral of dx

Well, the action of [itex]P[/itex] on [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] is of course just [itex]P\psi(x)=-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx} \psi(x)[/itex]...what do you get when you multiply both sides of this equation by the inverse of P (from the left), [itex]P^{-1}[/itex]?... compare that to the fundamental theorem of calculus and it should be apparent what [itex]P^{-1}[/itex] is.

P.S. using 1/p to represent the inverse is usually bad notation when dealing with operators.