1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the job availability for astrophysicists?

1. Nov 1, 2012 #1
    Hi. I'm new here so i'm sorry if i posted in the wrong section of the forums.

I'm planning on switching my major from computer science to physics (i plan on being an astrophysicist). However, i'm scared that after i graduate with a B.S in astrophysics, there will be no jobs available to me.

So my question is, what is the job availability for someone who graduates with a bs in astrophysics? Please be honest.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2
    If you want to work in astrophysics, I think most people get a B.S. or B.A. in physics, then do a PhD focusing on astrophysics. With just a bachelors, I think you'd be hard pressed to find work in anything to do with astrophysics. Maybe working at a local planetarium?

4. Nov 1, 2012 #3

eri

Most of the jobs in astrophysics require a PhD. It's hiring season right now in astrophysics and many other academic fields, so there are a lot of jobs listed (relatively speaking). Here's a list.

http://jobregister.aas.org/

Note how almost all require a PhD. Also note this is pretty much it. All the jobs in astrophysics, almost all in the world, show up on that site. And when it's not hiring season (a few months in the fall) it's far, far more empty.

With only a BS, your jobs in astrophysics will be limited to things like data analyst, programmer, or observatory technicians. I've known a few people who took those jobs, but they all left within a few years to either earn a PhD and get a 'real job' or left the field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook