What is the job of a radio transmitter

In summary, the radio transmitter is responsible for taking the sound waveform and transforming it into a time-varying electrical waveform. This waveform is then modulated by multiplying it with a carrier wave, which is generated by an oscillator. The modulated waveform is then used to drive an antenna and produce electromagnetic waves. Both the oscillator and modulation circuit are considered part of the transmitter.
ASidd
I am kind of confused. Does the radio transmitter modulate the waves or change it into alternating current. If it does both then which one is done first?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
ASidd said:
I am kind of confused. Does the radio transmitter modulate the waves or change it into alternating current. If it does both then which one is done first?

Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't claim to know all of the details, but basically taking AM as our example (for simplicity), I would say that there has to be equipment that does all of these things. The sound waveform has to be transformed into a time-varying electrical (voltage) waveform by a pressure transducer of some sort (but that's just a microphone). Then this time-varying voltage signal (which contains the actual speech or sound information) has to be modulated by multiplying it with the carrier wave (a voltage waveform of constant frequency). According to one source I just found, http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/fun/comsuppl.htm, the carrier wave might be generated by a type of electronic circuit known as an oscillator, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_oscillator, and that would be part of the transmitter electronics. Also part of the transmitter electronics would be the circuit to combine the carrier wave and the signal waveform, to produce the AM waveform. Then, I guess, as the last piece of the puzzle, you'd use this to drive an antenna to produce EM waves.

Actually, the Wikipedia article for radio trasmitter seems to corroborate what I'm saying:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_transmitter#Description

EDIT: The "How It Works" section of that article seems even more like what you want. It explicitly states that both the oscillator (that generates the carrier wave) and the modulation circuit (that piggy-backs information onto it) are considered part of the transmitter.

What is a radio transmitter?

A radio transmitter is a device that uses electromagnetic waves to send information through the air. It converts electrical signals into radio waves, which can then be received and decoded by a radio receiver.

What is the purpose of a radio transmitter?

A radio transmitter is used to broadcast radio signals, such as music, news, or emergency alerts, to a wide audience. It is also used in communication systems, such as radios, cell phones, and satellites.

How does a radio transmitter work?

A radio transmitter works by using an antenna to create an electromagnetic field. This field carries the radio waves, which are modulated with the desired information, such as audio or data. The transmitter then amplifies and broadcasts these waves into the air.

What are the components of a radio transmitter?

A radio transmitter typically consists of an oscillator, a modulator, an amplifier, and an antenna. The oscillator generates the radio frequency, the modulator adds the information to the signal, the amplifier boosts the signal strength, and the antenna broadcasts the waves into the air.

What are some common applications of radio transmitters?

Radio transmitters are used in a variety of applications, including broadcasting, communication systems, radar systems, and wireless networks. They are also used in scientific research, such as in space exploration and radio astronomy.