Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the Kyoto agreement?

1. Mar 25, 2003 #1
    [SOLVED] What is the Kyoto agreement?

Can anyone tell me what the Kyoto agreement was?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2003 #2
    I can't give you exact data/figures off the top of my head, but it was a global conference a few years ago, whose aim was to unite political leaders worldwide in agreeing to reduce their countries emissions of greenhouse gases etc. I think almost every (if not every ) country except the US (under Clinton at the time) agreed to cut their emissions to some extent, with a future target, eg. 2010 in mind. The US didn't agree ( ) because they thought it would damage their economy too much I believe. Probably better asking google if you're wanting more details than that...

4. Mar 25, 2003 #3
    This might be true, but a rather boring read on the articles of the Kyoto protocol:
    http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/convkp/kpeng.html

In addition to the U.S. not participating in the Kyoto protocol/treaty, Austraila has chosen not to participate either, there are likely many other countries that haven't signed into it either as it is a United Nations project.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?