What is the largest area for $800

• Thread starter Hypnos_16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the problem is to find the largest area that can be fenced off for $800 given a rectangular lot adjacent to a highway with fencing costs of $6 per meter along the highway and $4 per meter on the other three sides. The equations for this problem are x + 3y = 800 and xy = area, where x is the width and y is the length. After rearranging and substituting, the maximum area can be found by maximizing A(x) = A(x, y(x)).
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

a rectangular lot adjacent to a highway is to be enclosed by a fence. If fencing cost $6 per metre along the highway and $4 per metre on the other three sides, find the largest area that can be fenced off for $800.

I get these questions generally, because they're usually area problems, but when they tossed in cost, and that it's the same on 3 walls yet different on the fourth it's just throwing me off.

Homework Equations

I get that you have two equations in this case something like

xy = Area
x + 3y = 800

(I don't think they're the right ones, just it's supposed to be something like that, if they are right though let me know)

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't tried it cause i don't know how to start it

Physics news on Phys.org
you equations aren't right
so say
x = width (parallel to highway)
y = length (perp to highway)
perimeter length = 2x + 2y

now try and write down the cost, you have x at $6/m and 2y+x at $4/m

Last edited:
so if x = $6/m and 2y + x = $3 / m
then
6(x) + 3(2y + x) = 800
6x + 6y + 3x = 800
9x + 6y = 800
x = (800 - 6y) / 9
something like that?

I'm not seeing the logic behind 2y + x = $3 / m

If only one side is facing the highway at a cost of 6$ and the other three are 4$, you would have something like (2x*4$)+6$y+4$y=800$.

sorry meant 4

so you get
800 = 6x + 4(2y+x) = 10x + 8y

now rearange for y in terms of x, y(x) and substitue into your area A(x,y)
A(x) = A(x, y(x))

then maximise in terms of x

What is the largest area for $800?

The largest area for $800 would depend on the context. However, assuming that the question is referring to land area, the answer would vary depending on the location. For example, in the United States, the largest area for $800 would be approximately 0.16 acres (6,969 square feet).

How much land can you buy for $800?

The amount of land that can be purchased for $800 would depend on the location and current market prices. In general, $800 would not be enough to buy a significant amount of land, but it could potentially cover the cost of a small plot in some areas.

What is the average price per acre for land?

The average price per acre for land varies greatly depending on the location, type of land, and current market conditions. In the United States, the average price per acre for farmland is around $3,140, while the average price for residential land is around $160,000 per acre.

What factors affect the price of land?

There are many factors that can affect the price of land, including location, type of land, zoning laws, availability of utilities, and current market conditions. Other factors may include the presence of natural resources, nearby amenities, and development potential.

Is land a good investment?

The answer to this question depends on various factors and is not a straightforward yes or no. Land can be a good long-term investment, but it also carries risks and requires careful consideration of the location, market conditions, and potential uses for the land. It is important to do thorough research and consult with experts before making any investment decisions.