1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the largest possible volume for this cylinder?

1. Jan 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectangle with a perimeter of 40 cm is rotated around one of its sides creating a right cylinder. What is the largest possible volume for this cylinder?

2. Relevant equations
    Volume of a cylinder= pi*r^2*h
    Perimeter of a rectangle= 2x + 2L

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know one of my equations is
    40=2x+2h
    And then I isolated h by itself and got:
    h= 40-2x / 2
    But for my volume equation I have two variables on one side(r & h) and thats where I'm stuck. I don't understand how the perimeter of the rectangle can relate to the volume of the cylinder. How am I suppose to write x in terms of radius? The answer on the back of my textbook says 3723.37cm^3 for what its worth.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Draw a picture. How is the radius related to the rectangle?

4. Jan 16, 2016 #3
    Is the circumference of the circles on the cylinder equal to the lengths of the rectangle? Because I tried that and I did not get the right answer...

5. Jan 16, 2016 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have used L and h for the same thing. You have one side of the rectangle is x and the other is (40-2x)/2 = 20-x. (Note the necessary parentheses). What is the volume if that rectangle with sides x and 20-x is rotated about an edge?

6. Jan 16, 2016 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Imagine a rectangle, say with a long and a short side. Then fix a long stick along the long side. This gives you a flag. Wave it so it circles around your stick. So radius, height and rectangle sides are actually only 2 lengths. Using the perimeter allows you to reduce it to only one left: x.

7. Jan 16, 2016 #6
    cylinder1.PNG Here you see the direct relationship. You have that 40=2(r+h) directly is your 40=2(X+L)=2(r+h).You can express h=20-r. Plug this into your equation of volume, you will get a function V which depends on r, V(r). Now find the maxima, or if you like, the derivative of V with respect to r, thats the slope of the function, now maximum will be if the slope is zero. So [itex] \frac {dV}{dr} = 0 [/itex] You will get an quadratic equation with two solutions, one of them will make sense, and when you get the [itex] r_{max} [/itex] plug that into the volume equation and you will get 3723,37. Try it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  8. Jan 16, 2016 #7
    hmm okay I get this but I'm confused as to why the rectangle is only half of the cylinder? If a rectangle forms the cylinder, shouldn't the width of the rectangle be the diameter of the cylinder rather than the radius?

9. Jan 16, 2016 #8
    Because thats what it says in the text of the problem. The problems states that the rectangle rotates on one of its sides? heres a picture:
    cylinder1.png

10. Jan 16, 2016 #9
    wow I completely missed that. Thank you so much!!

11. Jan 16, 2016 #10
    Oh I get it now so the radius is one of the rectangle's sides. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted