What is the largest possible volume for this cylinder?

In summary, the problem involves finding the largest possible volume of a right cylinder formed by rotating a rectangle with a perimeter of 40 cm around one of its sides. By setting up equations for the volume and perimeter, and using the fact that the rectangle's sides are related to the cylinder's radius, we can find the maximum volume by finding the maximum value of the function V(r)=πr^2(20-r). The resulting value of 3723.37 cm^3 can then be verified using a picture.
abizan

Homework Statement

A rectangle with a perimeter of 40 cm is rotated around one of its sides creating a right cylinder. What is the largest possible volume for this cylinder?

Homework Equations

Volume of a cylinder= pi*r^2*h
Perimeter of a rectangle= 2x + 2L

The Attempt at a Solution

I know one of my equations is
40=2x+2h
And then I isolated h by itself and got:
h= 40-2x / 2
But for my volume equation I have two variables on one side(r & h) and that's where I'm stuck. I don't understand how the perimeter of the rectangle can relate to the volume of the cylinder. How am I suppose to write x in terms of radius? The answer on the back of my textbook says 3723.37cm^3 for what its worth.

Physics news on Phys.org
abizan said:
How am I suppose to write x in terms of radius?
Draw a picture. How is the radius related to the rectangle?

fresh_42 said:
Draw a picture. How is the radius related to the rectangle?
Is the circumference of the circles on the cylinder equal to the lengths of the rectangle? Because I tried that and I did not get the right answer...

abizan said:

Homework Statement

A rectangle with a perimeter of 40 cm is rotated around one of its sides creating a right cylinder. What is the largest possible volume for this cylinder?

Homework Equations

Volume of a cylinder= pi*r^2*h
Perimeter of a rectangle= 2x + 2L

The Attempt at a Solution

I know one of my equations is
40=2x+2h
And then I isolated h by itself and got:
h= 40-2x / 2
But for my volume equation I have two variables on one side(r & h) and that's where I'm stuck. I don't understand how the perimeter of the rectangle can relate to the volume of the cylinder. How am I suppose to write x in terms of radius? The answer on the back of my textbook says 3723.37cm^3 for what its worth.

You have used L and h for the same thing. You have one side of the rectangle is x and the other is (40-2x)/2 = 20-x. (Note the necessary parentheses). What is the volume if that rectangle with sides x and 20-x is rotated about an edge?

Likes abizan
Imagine a rectangle, say with a long and a short side. Then fix a long stick along the long side. This gives you a flag. Wave it so it circles around your stick. So radius, height and rectangle sides are actually only 2 lengths. Using the perimeter allows you to reduce it to only one left: x.

Likes abizan
cylinder1.PNG
Here you see the direct relationship. You have that 40=2(r+h) directly is your 40=2(X+L)=2(r+h).You can express h=20-r. Plug this into your equation of volume, you will get a function V which depends on r, V(r). Now find the maxima, or if you like, the derivative of V with respect to r, that's the slope of the function, now maximum will be if the slope is zero. So [itex] \frac {dV}{dr} = 0 [/itex] You will get an quadratic equation with two solutions, one of them will make sense, and when you get the [itex] r_{max} [/itex] plug that into the volume equation and you will get 3723,37. Try it.

Last edited:
Alexiy said:
cylinder1.PNG
Here you see the direct relationship. You have that 40=2(r+h) directly is your 40=2(X+L)=2(r+h).You can express h=20-r. Plug this into your equation of volume, you will get a function V which depends on r, V(r). Now find the maxima, or if you like, the derivative of V with respect to r, that's the slope of the function, now maximum will be if the slope is zero. So [itex] \frac {dV}{dr} = 0 [/itex] You will get an quadratic equation with two solutions, one of them will make sense, and when you get the [itex] r_{max} [/itex] plug that into the volume equation and you will get 3723,37. Try it.
hmm okay I get this but I'm confused as to why the rectangle is only half of the cylinder? If a rectangle forms the cylinder, shouldn't the width of the rectangle be the diameter of the cylinder rather than the radius?

abizan said:
hmm okay I get this but I'm confused as to why the rectangle is only half of the cylinder? If a rectangle forms the cylinder, shouldn't the width of the rectangle be the diameter of the cylinder rather than the radius?
Because that's what it says in the text of the problem. The problems states that the rectangle rotates on one of its sides? here's a picture:
cylinder1.png

Alexiy said:
Because that's what it says in the text of the problem. The problems states that the rectangle rotates on one of its sides? here's a picture:
cylinder1.png
wow I completely missed that. Thank you so much!

fresh_42 said:
Imagine a rectangle, say with a long and a short side. Then fix a long stick along the long side. This gives you a flag. Wave it so it circles around your stick. So radius, height and rectangle sides are actually only 2 lengths. Using the perimeter allows you to reduce it to only one left: x.
Oh I get it now so the radius is one of the rectangle's sides. Thanks for the help!

What is the largest possible volume for this cylinder?

The largest possible volume for a cylinder is determined by its dimensions, specifically its height and radius. The formula for the volume of a cylinder is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height. To find the largest possible volume, we need to maximize the value of r^2h. This can be done by increasing the radius and height of the cylinder as much as possible.

What is the relationship between the radius and height in maximizing the volume of a cylinder?

In order to maximize the volume of a cylinder, the radius and height must both be increased. However, the relationship between the two dimensions is not linear. For example, doubling the radius will result in a volume increase of 4 times, while doubling the height will only result in a volume increase of 2 times. Therefore, it is more efficient to increase the radius in order to maximize the volume of a cylinder.

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is V = πr^2h, where V is the volume, r is the radius, and h is the height. It is important to note that the units for each dimension should be consistent, for example, if the radius is in inches, the height should also be in inches.

What is the difference between the largest possible volume and the maximum volume of a cylinder?

The largest possible volume refers to the absolute maximum volume that a cylinder can have, determined by its dimensions. This is the theoretical limit and may not always be achievable in practical situations. On the other hand, the maximum volume of a cylinder is the largest volume that can be achieved in a specific scenario, taking into account any constraints or limitations. These limitations could include the materials available, the size of the cylinder, or the purpose of the cylinder.

Can a cylinder have an infinite volume?

No, a cylinder cannot have an infinite volume. As mentioned earlier, the volume of a cylinder is determined by its dimensions, and there are physical limitations to how large these dimensions can be. Additionally, an infinite volume would mean that the cylinder has no boundaries or edges, which is not possible in our physical world.