What is the largest organelle in a plant cell?

• Thread starter Titania
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary, the nucleus is the largest organelle in a cell, but it doesn't always specify which type of cell. The endoplasmic reticulum is usually the largest organelle in a cell, but it can vary depending on the type of cell.
Titania
It is said that nucleus is the largest organelle in the cell. (Well, it doesn't really specify.) So, I'm actually wondering about the vacuole. Isnt it drawn the largest in plant cell? I did manage to find some information from internet but I am not really satisfied. :3
No offence, just say what you think is right. I want to learn more. Thanks in advance~

Biology news on Phys.org
Which organelle is the largest probably depends on the type of cell being studied. For example, red blood cells do not contain a nucleus, so obviously the nucleus would not be the largest organelle for those cells. In the case of a typical hepatocyte (liver cell), the endoplasmic reticulum may take up more volume (~16% of the cell volume) than the nucleus (~6% of the cell volume): http://book.bionumbers.org/how-big-is-the-endoplasmic-reticulum-of-cells/

Ehh, arent they just found abundantly, not the largest? Do correct me.

There many kinds of cells, sometimes asking for the 'largest' organelle does not make a lot of sense. Why? Because of the diversity of cells, especially in plants:
The largest relative volume of a single organelle (what @Ygggdrasil answered ) is a way to provide a kind of answer. This varies across tissues in animals and plants as well.
Most times the answer is: Usually the largest single organelle in a cell is the nucleus. In both plant and animals.
If this if for HS biology, then go with what you have in the post above, but be aware of the weirdness in the world of cells.

Really there is no one perfect answer, you always find something goofy:
Multinucleate cells - one cell, many nuclei, relative volume of nuclear material is high. Does this count?
Fungal hyphae (Basidiomyces) - kind of like the root body of some fungi like mushrooms - are mutlinucleate, but also have huge amounts of ER.
Acetabularia is a GIGANTIC single cell (3 inches high sometimes), so the is the ER the largest? (These things are just plain wonderful).
2000px-Acetabularia_mediterranea_life.svg.png

Likes Hoophy and Titania

Related to What is the largest organelle in a plant cell?

What is the largest organelle in the cell?

The largest organelle in the cell is the nucleus.

What is the function of the largest organelle in the cell?

The nucleus is responsible for storing and protecting the cell's genetic material, as well as controlling and regulating cellular activities.

What is the structure of the largest organelle in the cell?

The nucleus is typically spherical in shape and is surrounded by a double membrane called the nuclear envelope. Inside the nucleus, there is a nucleolus and chromatin fibers, which contain the cell's genetic material.

How does the largest organelle in the cell communicate with other organelles?

The nucleus communicates with other organelles through pores in the nuclear envelope, which allow for the transport of molecules in and out of the nucleus.

Can the largest organelle in the cell be found in all types of cells?

Yes, the nucleus is found in all types of eukaryotic cells, including plant and animal cells. However, prokaryotic cells do not have a nucleus.