What is the Capacity Factor of Glycolysis in Cells?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Boomer Dave
Hello. I'm in the process of teaching myself cell bio and I'm curious to find a good source with actual rates of glycolysis in cells. In a nutshell, I'm wondering what the maximum rate of ATP production within the cell is (assuming a normal yet constant extracellular concentration of glucose) and how this compares to the average needs of the cell (normal rate of energy production/use). This would be like asking for the capacity factor of a power plant. I realize this probably varies by cell type and there appears to be both passive and active glucose uptake (not that this is necessarily the rate-limiting process), but any explanation or directions to a solid source would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm trying to get a good idea of the the order of magnitude and how it changes during the cell cycle.
 
Biology news on Phys.org