1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the lim as n goes to infinity of (ln(n+2))/(ln(2n))

1. Jan 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    what is the lim as n goes to infinity of (ln(n+2))/(ln(2n)) ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It looks like you would get "small" infinity over "large" infinity, so does that make it 1? undefined? 0? thanks. Is there some simplifying I should be doing? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Are you familiar with L'Hospital's Rule? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  4. Jan 4, 2015 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##\frac \infty\infty## is an indeterminate form. To figure out if the limit exists and what it's equal to, you have to do some sort of manipulation. A common way to deal with an indeterminate form is to use, as Berkeman suggested, L'Hopital's rule. For this problem, you could also use the property ##\ln ab = \ln a + \ln b## to rewrite the quotient as
    $$\frac{\ln (n+2)}{\ln 2n} = \frac{\ln [n(1+\frac 2n)]}{\ln 2n} = \frac{\ln n + \ln (1+\frac 2n)}{\ln n + \ln 2},$$ which you should be able to find the limit of now. Regardless of the method, you should get the same answer.

5. Jan 4, 2015 #4
    Thank you all - I use L'Hospital's rule and found the limit to be 2.

6. Jan 4, 2015 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

And what do you find using Vela's hint? :-)

7. Jan 4, 2015 #6
    I'm not sure I understood Vela's hint. That seems to have it more complex :(

8. Jan 4, 2015 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm kinda guessing you didn't make much of an effort at understanding what I did, or if you did, there's some basic algebra you need to brush up on.

Anyway, can you show us your work? You didn't get the right answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted