Infinite Limit question (3/x)^2x, proof it goes to 0

In summary: The limit is positive and bounded by 0, so you just need to find a function which bounds your sequence and converges to 0 also when the limit goes to infinity. In this case I suggest having a function in form of geometric sequence. If that's so then you can prove that this series reaches 0.
Isaac Wiebe

Homework Statement

lim (3/n)^(2n)
n→ ∞

Homework Equations

L'hopital's rule: lim F(a)/G(a) is indeterminate form, then the limit can be written as lim F'(a)/G'(a)
x → a x→ a

The Attempt at a Solution

lim e^[ln(3/n)^(2n)] = lim e^(2n * ln(3/n))
n→ ∞ n → ∞

2n * ln(3/n) =

[2 * ln(3/n)] / (n^-1 )

and applying L.h., [2 * (n/3) * (-3/n^2)]/(-n^-2)

reduces to, 2 * n, and clearly, plugging in n = infinity is wrong. Where did I go wrong, and what can I do to fix this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2n * ln(3/n)
ln(1/x)=?

The Hospital rule doesn't apply here because you don't have an indeterminate form.

Likes 1 person
vela said:
The Hospital rule doesn't apply here because you don't have an indeterminate form.

Woops, didn't read the question carefully,,,I art iDiot

Isaac Wiebe said:

Homework Statement

lim (3/n)^2n
n→ ∞

Homework Equations

L'hopital's rule: lim F(a)/G(a) is indeterminate form, then the limit can be written as lim F'(a)/G'(a)
x → a x→ a

The Attempt at a Solution

lim e^[ln(3/n)^2n] = lim e^(2n * ln(3/n))
n→ ∞ n → ∞

2n * ln(3/n) = [2 * ln(3/n)] / n^-1 and applying L.h., [2 * (n/3) * (-3/n^2)]/(-n^-2)

reduces to, 2 * n, and clearly, plugging in n = infinity is wrong. Where did I go wrong, and what can I do to fix this problem?

Please use parentheses: using standard parsing rules for mathematical expressions, what you wrote means
[tex] \left(\frac{3}{n}\right)^2 n,[/tex]
but may be you meant
[tex] \left(\frac{3}{n}\right)^{2 n}.[/tex]
If you meant the latter, write it as (3/n)^(2n).

You can see that the the denominator will increase faster than the nominator when ##n>2##. The limit is positive and is bounded by 0. So you just need to find a function which bounds your sequence and converges to 0 also when the limit goes to infinity. In this case I suggest having a function in form of geometric sequence. If that's so then you can prove that this series reaches 0.

It's pretty easy to show that the sequence goes to 0 for [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex], if you consider the logarithm of the expression.

1. What is an infinite limit?

An infinite limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values approach either positive or negative infinity. In other words, it shows what happens to a function when the input values become extremely large or small.

2. How do you calculate an infinite limit?

To calculate an infinite limit, you need to determine the behavior of the function as the input values approach infinity. This can be done by simplifying the function, taking the limit of the simplified function, and evaluating the result as the input values approach infinity. If the limit approaches a finite number, then the infinite limit exists and is equal to that number. If the limit approaches infinity or negative infinity, then the infinite limit does not exist.

3. What is the function (3/x)^2x?

The function (3/x)^2x is an exponential function in which the base is (3/x) and the exponent is 2x. This function is often used in the study of infinite limits as it can help determine the behavior of a function as the input values approach infinity.

4. How do you prove that (3/x)^2x goes to 0 as x approaches infinity?

To prove that (3/x)^2x goes to 0 as x approaches infinity, we need to show that the limit of the function as x approaches infinity is equal to 0. This can be done by simplifying the function and taking the limit of the simplified function. If the limit approaches 0, then we can conclude that (3/x)^2x goes to 0 as x approaches infinity.

5. Why is it important to understand infinite limits?

Understanding infinite limits is important in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus and differential equations. It allows us to analyze the behavior of functions at extreme values and determine the existence of limits. Additionally, infinite limits are often used in real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, to model and predict the behavior of systems as they approach extreme values.