What is the Limit of a Function as x Approaches 0?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bumpercars21
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
bumpercars21
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



http://i45.tinypic.com/20rsnis.jpg

Homework Equations



Compute the lim

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried using l'Hopital's rule but I have to keep finding the derivative and it doesn't yield an answer. I have to use taylor series for the trig functions, but don't know how this will work
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Go ahead, try it. Expand cos(2x) and sin(x) in a taylor series. See which terms cancel. If you don't know the expansion of cos and sin, they are easy to look up.
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series

a good rule of thumb is to turn sin and cosine and even e into their taylor series whenever doing limit problems. then subtract whatever you can. and factor out as many x terms as you need to make the top and bottom non zero. and then calculate the limit.