What is the limit of tan(x)^sin(x) as x->0+

  • Thread starter Thread starter iatnogpitw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
iatnogpitw
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
What is the limit of tan(x)^sin(x) as x-->0+

Homework Statement


[tex]Lim\rightarrow0^{+}((tan(x))^{sin(x)}[/tex]

Homework Equations


I know that you have to raise e to this limit and you can then bring down sin(x) to get [tex](sin(x))(ln(tan(x)))[/tex], but beyond that, I am stuck.

The Attempt at a Solution


I guess above is a bit of both an attempt and relevant equations.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Well, [itex]\sin(0)=0[/itex] and [itex]\ln(\tan(0))=\infty[/itex], so If you write it in the form :[tex]\frac{\ln(\tan(x))}{\frac{1}{\sin(x)}}[/tex], you have a limit of the form [tex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}[/tex] and you can apply L'hospital's rule.
 


do
lim tan(x)^sin(x)=[lim sin(x)^sin(x)]/[lim cos(x)^sin(x)]
use lim x^x=1

if you want to go forward from where were, do you know l'hospital's rule?
lim sin(x)log(tan(x))=lim log(tan(x))/csc(x)=lim [log(tan(x))]'/[csc(x)]'
 


gabbagabbahey said:
Well, [itex]\sin(0)=0[/itex] and [itex]\ln(\tan(0))=\infty[/itex], so If you write it in the form :[tex]\frac{\ln(\tan(x))}{\frac{1}{\sin(x)}}[/tex], you have a limit of the form [tex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}[/tex] and you can apply L'hospital's rule.

log(tan(0+)=-infinity

Why is L'hospital's rule suggested so frequently on limit problems?
I used to mock the Hughes-Hallett Calculus book for (among other things) omiting L'hospital's rule, but now I am beginning to understand why.

Here is an extra few for practice (all limit's x->0)

lim x/x=lim x'/x'=lim 1/1=lim 1=1
lim x^x=exp(lim [log(x)]'/[1/x]')=exp(lim (1/x)/(-1/x^2))=exp(lim -x)=exp(0)=1
lim [1/x-1/x]=lim 0'/x'=lim 0/1=0
 
Last edited:


Okay, so I got [tex]((1/(tan(x)(cos^{2}(x))))/((sin(x))/(cos^{2}(x)) = (cos(x)/(sin^{2}(x))[/tex] This limit still equals infinity though, and I can' see L'hopital's rule getting me any beyond a term with infinity in it.

EDIT: Oh, so does that mean the limit DNE?
 
Last edited:


iatnogpitw said:
Okay, so I got [tex]((1/(tan(x)(cos^{2}(x))))/((sin(x))/(cos^{2}(x)) = (cos(x)/(sin^{2}(x))[/tex] This limit still equals infinity though, and I can' see L'hopital's rule getting me any beyond a term with infinity in it.

EDIT: Oh, so does that mean the limit DNE?

Errrrmm is [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{\sin x}[/tex] REALLY [tex]\frac{\sin x}{\cos^2 x}[/tex] ?:wink: