What is the Magnetic Field Around a Thin Walled Circular Conductor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brewer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 13K views
Brewer
Messages
203
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Using Ampere's circuital law, or otherwise, find the magnetic field B a distance r away from the axis of a thin walled circular hollow conductor of radius a and carrying a current I.

Homework Equations


[tex]\oint_L B\cdot dL = \mu_0I_{enclosed}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


So far I have said:
the conductor is a hoop. As a result inside the hoop (i.e. r<a) B=0 as [tex]I_{enc}[/tex]=0.

However I am confused as to what line I should take to work out B when r>a. Does the system act like a long straight line (albeit in a circle) and the B-field is a loop around the hoop (cancelling out in the middle, and thus obtaining the same result for r<a), or is it some other shape all together?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Outside the spherical shell, the magnetic field at a given point is constant. Therefore, [tex]B\oint dl=\mu_0 I_{enclosed}[/tex]. This would give you [tex]B=\frac{\mu_0 I_{enclosed}}{4\pi r^2}[/tex].
 
Its not a spherical shell is it? I read it as just a circular loop.

I think after a bit of playing with the numbers I get [tex]B = \frac{\mu_o I}{2\pi r}[/tex]
 
How can a circular loop be hollow? As far as I can see, its a spherical shell. However, if it is a circular loop, you would be correct.