What is the magnetic-field energy in a given volume with B = 3.50T?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
Jack_M
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the magnetic-field energy in a 10.0cm3 volume of space where B = 3.50T?

Homework Equations


u = B2/2μ0

The Attempt at a Solution


Using the equation I got an answer of 4.87*105 J/m3 which is incorrect
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't ask for the energy density, which is what you gave. It asks for the energy, so your final answer should be in Joules, not Joules/m^3.
 
phyzguy said:
It doesn't ask for the energy density, which is what you gave. It asks for the energy, so your final answer should be in Joules, not Joules/m^3.
Should an answer using that formula along with those units be correct, though? I only have 2 more submissions available.
 
Jack_M said:
Should an answer using that formula along with those units be correct, though? I only have 2 more submissions available.
Yes, you're on the right track. You have calculated the energy density almost correctly. I got 4.87*106 J/m3, so one of us made a mistake. Then how do you go from energy density to energy?
 
Oh I see now. I should multiply by the volume of the space correct?