What is the magnetic flux through the prism's right side?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Se Hoon Park
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


e5L8fBt.jpg

Now, ignore the lengths given in the photo.

Height (y) = .640 meters
Length (z) = 1.18 meters
Base (x) = .320 meters
Magnetic Field (B) = 3.5 Teslas in the +X direction

Homework Equations


The problem is to find the magnetic flux through the surface of the prism that is the hypotenuse (side aedf). So, the equation for this should be Flux = BAcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution


Well, working out the problem, I figured out the length of the hypotenuse is 1.22m because of pythagorean theorem. So, B*A is simply

(1.22)(.640)(3.5T)=2.7328

Now, theta is the angle that is between the magnetic field and the orthogonal of the surface itself. This angle should be the same as the angle between the base of the triangle and the hypotenuse. So this ratio is (1.18/1.22). So the flux should be

2.7328 * (1.18/1.22) = 2.6432 Wb

But the answer keeps spitting out as wrong! What did I do wrong here?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps it requires the correct number of significant figures.
good luck
 
I got 0.8164Wb.
If that checks I can give you hints as to how I derived it.
Se Hoon Park said:

Homework Statement


e5L8fBt.jpg

Now, ignore the lengths given in the photo.

Height (y) = .640 meters
Length (z) = 1.18 meters
Base (x) = .320 meters
Magnetic Field (B) = 3.5 Teslas in the +X direction

Homework Equations


The problem is to find the magnetic flux through the surface of the prism that is the hypotenuse (side aedf). So, the equation for this should be Flux = BAcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution


Well, working out the problem, I figured out the length of the hypotenuse is 1.22m because of pythagorean theorem. So, B*A is simply

(1.22)(.640)(3.5T)=2.7328

Now, theta is the angle that is between the magnetic field and the orthogonal of the surface itself. This angle should be the same as the angle between the base of the triangle and the hypotenuse. So this ratio is (1.18/1.22). So the flux should be

2.7328 * (1.18/1.22) = 2.6432 Wb

But the answer keeps spitting out as wrong! What did I do wrong here?
Your answer is correct. Guaranteed!