What is the magnitude/direction of the E field?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vitani11
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Field
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Vitani11
Messages
275
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


A bob of mass 0.005kg is attached to a pendulum and has a charge of -8.0 uC. The pendulum is 1.0m long and has a periods of 1.2 s when it's puts it in a vertical uniform electric field E. What are the magnitude and direction of E?

Homework Equations


∑Fy = qE - mg = ma

q is charge
E is electric field
m is mass
g is gravity
a is acceleration
L is length
T is period

The Attempt at a Solution


I set up a FBD and this is what I have so far.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
At this point I'm trying to find an equation for acceleration so I can solve for E.