1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the magnitude of the normal force of the table on the lower magnet?

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the magnitude of the normal force of the table on the lower magnet?
    (so there is a table with a magnet on top and below its surface)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So i was wondering if someone could help me figure out all of the forces acting on the magnet to find the normal force. So far:

- weight of the table (down)
    - weight of the lower magnet (down)
    and so i dont really understand what will oppose these forces.. the force from the magnet on the top of the table?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2
    Try drawing an overall diagram of the situation, then draw a free body diagram for the lower magnet. Is the table resting on a surface? Or is it suspended, being help in place by the two magnets?

In either case there should only be three forces you need to take into account, and two of them will be related to the third.

The normal force is the contact 'repulsion' between surfaces that prevents objects passing through each-other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook